Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Alternator problem I suspect

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016 | 10:38 PM
JFloors
|
Veteran
Default Alternator problem I suspect

hey guys, thought I'd run this one by you for comment and advise for me and others that may have a similar problem they can search out since I didn't find a bunch straight to the subject in our section.

The past 2 mornings I'd start and warmup the van before taking off to work and defrost the windows a few minutes before heading off to work. Gauges all looking right but a couple miles down the road the "Check Gauges" lights up and I see the volts gauge has dropped from just over 14 down to right at the start up mark (12v I assume), no codes though.

Working in town , not far this week so continue on and watch the gauge. By the time I get to my job, just 5-6 miles the needle has dropped a bit, more toward 8v mark. I shut down and restart and it's noticeably slower to crank over, today got to the job and it wouldn't restart upon arrival. It did start but weakly after sitting few hours till 5pm when leaving for home.

On the way home went straight to autozone as I had bought the battery there I thought just over a year ago and because the lights were really beginning to dim and wipers barley working and engine beginning to chug and run funny. Had one of the AZ guys test the battery and asked to check alternator too. Battery check was it was under charged of course

Turns out my battery was out of warranty, me having bought it 2 1/2 years ago! My memory must be leaving me! He was good about it and over rode that and gave me a new battery no charge.

I hooked it up and and waited to have the alternator tested before leaving because though it started normal, the gauge stayed there at about that 12v mark again. Sure enough testing it on the vehicle running with the new battery it read 12.2 but no higher and my dash gauge confirmed but no "Check gauges" yet.

the AZ guy suggested running it a short distance but if the gauge doesn't show 14.?v (I know this much) within a few miles to take it off and bring the alternator in for a bench test. I'll do that, but suspect the old alternator is failing anyway. To my recollection it's the original one but we all know that my memory may be failing too

Work being busy this week may not get it pulled/checked/replaced till the weekend, but will see how it goes and give an update

Old 12-08-2016 | 09:12 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Better hope it's the alternator. The PCM regulates the voltages and the alternator is much less expensive than a new PCM.

Old 12-08-2016 | 12:17 PM
James02

I'd bet you're right in that you need a new alt. Awesome that you got a free new battery! Be sure you don't run it down being your alternator is mostly likely not giving it a good charge.

Old 12-09-2016 | 12:38 AM
JFloors
|
Veteran

Thanks alloro, I've read in my searches the PCM could also be the culprit so will hopefully not have to be my plan "B" but looking into that too just incase.
While there see what AZ has to offer for lifetime warranties, no dealer flash and if mine is available on short notice.

Also, james02, appreciate the comment, will do and good advise.
Yeah the counter guy was nice and helpful about it, I was surprised at the offer to replace the battery. You might expect that kind of help given to a pretty young lady but not an old "rode hard put away wet:" looking feller like me Good customer relations and service I'd say, so am grateful.

Was tempted to run the van to the job just a few miles away today due to rainy weather and have my tools with me and kept dry, but thought better sense to leave it home, save the new battery based on the symptoms so far and drive the ole pickup to work.

Hoping Saturday morning will be dry a while to pull the alternator and get it tested and possibly replace and be done.

Last edited by JFloors; 12-09-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-09-2016 | 10:36 PM
JFloors
|
Veteran

Well fellas, it turns out my old alternator had failed.
Asked the boss if i could knock off a bit early today around 3:30 to get a head start on my problem since the rain (more a mist) wasn't bad and still had some daylight, got the ok and headed home.

No big deal to dismount, a 15mm wrench to pull on the belt tension pulley to unhook the belt, a couple 9/16th mount bolts, a 1/2 inch dip stick tube support, disconnect the power plug and unscrew the 7/16 battery lead, jimmy it out and done.

Took it to my local AZ to have tested since they had treated me well to have it tested. It failed twice so looked up a replacement. Nothing in stock there, soonest they could get one was tuesday, I need it back running monday so shook his hand and thanked him.

I did ask about the pcm just incase too, $289. cardon reman but also not in stock, alternator out the door $160ish. That will fail, but glad for not having to have to pay that cost this time.

napa down the street had a match and for $20. cheaper with warranty so bought and mounted it. Works as normal now and I'm a happy camper and can sleep in a lil bit tomorrow if the old aching bones don't wake me

Old 12-10-2016 | 08:41 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Congratulations JFloors, nice job diagnosed and problem solved in one page on the forum. Some folks here can some how turn a problem similar to your failed alternator into 3 page thread. Again congrads and have safe and happy holiday.

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:31 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

Might want to stay away from Cardone replacement parts. They have had alot of defective products. Do a Google search a ton of threads will pop up for it.