Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Valve cover bolts rusted

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 04:13 PM
justcruisinllc@gmail.com
|
Default Valve cover bolts rusted

I have a 97 dodge Ram 2500 converstion van 3.9 V6 now I want to replace the valve cover gaskets because there leaking. Now I see there are bolts then there is a Bolt/nut fastner more in the middle. Now there rusted pretty bad, has anyone been up agaisnt this stituation before and how to best approach this problem. The nut looks like I can get a socket on it but more than likely it will break.

Just wondering what my options are

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by justcruisinllc@gmail.com; 11-04-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2014 | 05:32 PM
Dennisa.taylor
Amateur

I would spray them for a couple of days with PB Blaster before attempting removal. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:08 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

If you're talking about the ones I'm thinking of they are just studs. So if the nut does freeze, then the whole stud will just turn out and not break. Other than that, all you can do is clean the threads, oil them, and hope for the best as you work the nut back and forth.

Old 11-05-2014 | 09:02 AM
justcruisinllc@gmail.com
|

So if this does come out do I need to use the same fasner again or could I use just a bolt like the other ones on the valve cover, I'm sure there is a reason why these are used, but just wondering. but of coarse if it snaps of I'm looking at re-tapping that hole, correct. Here is the pic of one of those bolts

thanks,
Eric

Attached Thumbnails Valve cover bolts rusted-valve-cover-bolt.jpg  

Last edited by justcruisinllc@gmail.com; 11-05-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Need add pic
Old 11-06-2014 | 11:36 AM
alloro

Although the ones in this picture I've attached are not the exact ones, they should give you an idea of what you're looking at. In your case, if the nut spins off that's good, but if the nut is frozen in place then the whole stud will unscrew and nothing will snap off. The stud goes into a threaded hole in the head. You could actually take them all out and install bolts instead from your local hardware store.

Old 11-25-2014 | 09:12 PM
justcruisinllc@gmail.com
|

Hey Alloro,
Just want to tell you they all came off, and the ones with the posts on them came off along with the nut. Hey do you know what the torque might be on those bolts?

Old 11-26-2014 | 12:57 PM
alloro

I believe it's 36 inch pounds.

Old 11-27-2014 | 01:31 PM
Tommy555
Professional

Those studs are there for a reason. The plastic spark plug wire hangers slide on there and allow you to tidy up the engine compartment by snapping your wires into the plastic hangers. Otherwise your wires will just be flapping around and sitting directly on the valve covers and intake manifold all the time.

Old 12-06-2016 | 05:49 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Default Rusty valve cover bolts

Hey Erick I was just reading your post and wonderd if you soaked your bolts with a penetrant before you took them off. Mine look just like yours. Even the valve cover is badly rusted and I'm afraid I'll break a bolt if I don't soak them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2016 | 07:41 AM
justcruisinllc@gmail.com
|

Originally Posted by j404ski
Hey Erick I was just reading your post and wonderd if you soaked your bolts with a penetrant before you took them off. Mine look just like yours. Even the valve cover is badly rusted and I'm afraid I'll break a bolt if I don't soak them. Any advice would be appreciated.
i used BP Blaster and let it soak, what happened to me was the stud came loose not the bolt...which was fine by me. I went to the dealer and got all new bolts and everything worked out.

Quick Reply: Valve cover bolts rusted