Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B2500 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

I thought ALL 3.9L were 3 speeds but I respectively stand corrected.
You didn't mention what year! Remember that the 3.9 came out in 1987. Back then there where no overdrive transmissions. Around the early 90s the 3 speeds where phased out in favor of the overdrive transmissions.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:03 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Someday... once you find out which transmission is yours and you have a minute, fill out your member signature (profile) with your vans details (like year, model van, engine and transmission) that will avoid confusion for the guys here that may have some advise for you in the future

Looks like you'll be getting to know your rig well which is good. Wish I had had the time in my earlier years, now I'm an older guy getting to know his older van! lol

Get through the front end stuff and alignment first, then worry about transmission service, remember the saying "if it ain't broke, don't need fixing" rule too

Good luck

Old 12-31-2016, 09:55 PM
Someday69
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I'm old enough to know better,(66) yet I got myself into this van..which was a bad call.,,,,I went to the dealer today they took the Vin, right off the pink slip..and the information sheet says it's got a 5.2 engine and that's an 8 cylinder...Now they got me wondering..so tomorrow I'll go pull off the dog house, and take another look. How can they get the wrong info with a Vin#???

Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there should be a typed info sheet pasted to the underside of the hood... mine is on the driver side... open the hood and you should see tranny, axle, engine and rear end gearing info

Old 01-01-2017, 09:19 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Holy Moly! i've ignored that equipment ID tag for years, but you're right Rsdata.... underside of the hood on drivers side has all the info right there!
Surley has to be the wiles and work of a woman to paste that there in front of our noses, knowing we'd never ever look there!

Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Someday69
Rookie

Well hell's bells' I counted the spark plug wires and sure enough,, It's the 5.2 - 8 cylinder, which is the 318?
And I got the last of my parts, so I've got both upper and lower ball joints, and both bushings, inner and outer tie'rod ends, And strut rod bushings, and end links...And Sway bar bushings-- Which look giant!! Yet I looked them up by part number and they fit...
I got so many boxe's I'm going to label them. So I know what's in each box..
I did exhausting research to find the right part's....I hope they all fit..

Thanks for your help, I'll let you all know how this project goes'...I'm going to wait for this week of rain finish before I start, yet I'll probably change the engine oil, and move to changing the gear oil in the distributor between the storms....

Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Cool beans! wouldn't hurt to take the parts out to compare to what's on there already just to be sure, should be close to identical. Tie rods will have to be measured and threads counted each side of the sleeve possibly to fit the new one to as close in length as you can to the existing one anyway so could put them together beforehand or wait til the old ones are off, up to you.
Good luck with those uppers, hope it goes better for you than mine did

I'm guessing you meant "changing gear oil in the rear differential...?

I'm no pro like some of these guys on here but fun learning and appreciate all their help too.
Assuming you haven't here's a suggestion for one cool thing you can do while waiting out the rain and it's inside the van (except the cleaning part of it, outdoors preferred) is pull the throttle body and give it a good cleaning. If all goes well might notice it runs a bit better and may even gain 1-2 extra mpg, you'll be glad you did it regardless.
While in there there are other things you can get a look at and inspect like the distributor cap, rotor, pvc valve, crankcase breather, air filter, inspect vacuum lines and other stuff to get familiar with too

TB job is minimal tools and only cost is your time, a couple something bucksTB gasket and a spray can of TB cleaner rags, swabs, couple other small things. Make sure to take off the , iac, tps sensor as well as the map sensor too before cleaning.

Disconnect Neg battery cable first before starting if you decide to go for it

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ttle-body.html

While yer at it clean the IAC which is on the rear side of the throttle body, just be gentle with it as you will read about.
This link used to have good pics along with it but no more... you might find another on youtube for better visual, i'm thinkin that if I can do it, you can too

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Before reconnecting do a little wipe on all the electrical ends with some contact spray and dab some di-eclectic grease in the connectors and you're good

Old 01-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Someday69
Rookie

Thanks Jfloors- You made good points all, let me ask,, is there a gasket I'll need to replace under the throtle body?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Someday69
Rookie

Oh WOW- thanks for the l links just got a first look at the first one on the TB. It already told me about the gasket. And I really like the way it explains the job. And like he says there's really no information about this anywhere...Thanks to all...