Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1994 350 15 passanger Ive looked everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:09 AM
bigpips305
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 350 15 passanger Ive looked everywhere!

Hey guys,

I'm struggling with a great condition 1994 Dodge Van 350 5.9L with 60k original miles on it. It was a church van and spent most of its life inside a garage. When I purchased it a few years ago, I put a new battery and fuel in it and couldn't even get the key to turn all the way before she fired right up!!!

I have been working on this thing for days, been all the way from AltaVista to Google to bing and every forum and even justanswer.com inbetween.

I sold the van a year ago, and had done a water pump on the van right before. I hadn't put the fan shroud on, and the new owner asked me all this time later to come put it on for him which I did. He says he doesn't drive it much yet, but comes out and cranks it and lets it run every week.

After I got the shroud installed, went to crank it up to run, and it wouldn't start. I've gone down the path of no spark and no fuel, to the ASD relay. I checked it with a multimeter the best I could with a few guides from searching forums. I replaced it in the end, and still nothing.

I have 12v on one pin with ignition off and 12v on 3 of the pins with ignition on. I don't appear to have any power at the injectors, but not 100% sure the proper pin to ground I should be testing if not both wires????

Ive checked connection after connection and bashing my head on this one. There is no check engine light, and I wasn't sure where it was so I pulled the dash to find it.. I switched it with a known good bulb, and still nothing. I borrowed a fancy 5000 dollar code reader from a local shop buddy, but of course there is no ALDL obd1 port on Chrysler vehicles of course, and Ive search high and low online for a code reader to go purchase nearby..

ANy help would be so appreciated.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor Freight sells decent code readers for $40-$60

Did you start it up BEFORE you did the shroud? How do you know it ran before you did the install...

does it turn over?

does it cough if you put some starter fluid in it?

condensation in the gas tank especially in a wet climate would be one thing to think of... especially if it is sitting a lot

Last edited by rsdata; 03-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You don't need a code reader for OBD1 vehicles to read the codes. Use a paper clip (google for instructions). All vehicles since the mid to late 70's have an ALDL port. You just have to find it.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM
bigpips305

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You don't need a code reader for OBD1 vehicles to read the codes. Use a paper clip (google for instructions). All vehicles since the mid to late 70's have an ALDL port. You just have to find it.
Not sure this does me any good if the CEL doesn't work

Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
bigpips305

Originally Posted by rsdata
Harbor Freight sells decent code readers for $40-$60

Did you start it up BEFORE you did the shroud? How do you know it ran before you did the install...

does it turn over?

does it cough if you put some starter fluid in it?

condensation in the gas tank especially in a wet climate would be one thing to think of... especially if it is sitting a lot
No, we hadn't. Good friend of mine.. He said he hasn't been driving it but comes out and cranks it up every week. The last run was as it sits just idling in the parking lot, not driving. I never had a single issue with the van when I had it and he says he has not either..

The van cranks great. Start fluid does nothing. Heres the update from today:

Pin 3, 9 at ECU has 12v

No voltage from pin 57, 51 or 7.

ASD Relay 1 pin has 12v with ignitin off, 3 pins have 12volts with ign on.
I replaced the relay anyway just to check.,

I inspected all fusible links the best I could..

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bigpips305
Not sure this does me any good if the CEL doesn't work

Replace the bulb?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
bigpips305

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Replace the bulb?
Sure did, switched it with a working one, both bulbs checked out. Just not working on CEL

Old 03-30-2017, 06:45 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert on ECU voltages, but you need 3 things for engine to work... spark, fuel and compression...

start fluid seems to clear the fuel aspect, and compression does not go away overnight...

what about spark? have you disconnected a plug wire to see if you are getting spark?

you may have knock loose the coil wire when working on the shroud...

Old 03-30-2017, 06:52 PM
bigpips305

There is no spark, not at the plugs, distributor or out the coil. There is no juice coming from ECU through pin 7 which is orange and goes to CKP, VSS and distributor. The coil is under the cage way down on the passanger side away from shroud. But i checked for hours as this was my first impulse. Im not getting power out pin 51 to the ASD RELay. This is a problem at the ECM or similar for sure. Power going in non3 coming out for ign and fuel systems...

Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM
robomow
Amateur

I ran into a similar problem as yours. In the end it turned out to be the ECM. Engine computer, whatever dodge calls it. After years of just heating up can cooling down the circuit board begins to separate and lose connections. One possible way to test this theory it to place a bag of ice on the computer and let it get good and cold. If it starts the computer is your problem. In any event my money is on the ECM. Best of luck to you!