Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

engine wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 PM
zachary sproles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont crank

ok so my issues all started with when the belt tensioner went out on my 2000 dodge ram 1500 conversion van the belt had sheard off abd wrapped aroubd the water pump so i replaced the water pumo and tensioner and when i went to start it up there was a loud noise like something broke so i tore the front end apart and found out the camshaft timing gear had snapped in half so i replaced the timing gears and chain set the timing and went to fire her up again and she still would not start i have checked every possible thing i could think of i have about 5 years of mechanics experiance and its got me scratching my head

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by zachary sproles
the camshaft timing gear had snapped in half so i replaced the timing gears and chain set the timing and went to fire her up again and she still would not start
If the cam turned and lost valve timing when the gear snapped, the valves could've hit the top of the pistons and bent. If this is what happened you would have no compression. Have you checked for compression in all of the cylinders?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 AM
zachary sproles

i dont have a compression tester is there any other way i could do it

Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM
zachary sproles

im about to pull the heads to check the valves but all 16 push rods were bent pretty badly

Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

but all 16 push rods were bent pretty badly
You're screwed, start looking for a good used engine or plan on fully rebuilding this one.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 PM
zachary sproles

so i think the heads are either cracked or warped where would be the cheapest place i could buy new heads there is coolant leaking out of the back of the heads

Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

where would be the cheapest place i could buy new heads there is coolant leaking out of the back of the heads
What engine?

You might be better off getting a used engine and swapping it out. The impact on the piston heads could've damaged them as well. Even if you don't see cracks in the tops of the pistons they could still be there just waiting to let go in a few hundred miles.