Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Auto Trans Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM
bobwe1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Fittings

I have a 2003 Ram Van 1500. Today I was messing with some stuff underneath. I noticed that the lines that connect the transmission fluid to the cooler on the bottom of the radiator are very loose within the screw on fittings. I took one off and the end of the tube is flared and the mating surface has an angle that I'm assuming is supposed to be a tight fit against the flare on the end of the tube. I can move the tube about 1/4 inch in and out, and it's real loose side to side too.
Weird thing is there has never been a leak, while I've had the truck. The previous owner had a new radiator put in by a mechanic. Is this the way they all are? I just can't figure out how this set up is sealing with so much play between what I'm thinking are the sealing surfaces?

Is this normal?

Here's a pic that shows what I'm looking at. Part A moves in/out by about 1/4 inch.

Last edited by bobwe1; 05-29-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bobwe1
Is this normal?
Yes it's normal. The joints are made that way so they are flexible and have a lower chance of being crimped or twisted at the bends.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:05 PM
bobwe1
Amateur

Weird, how do they seal? Why are there flares? Is the flare in the radiator swiveling? I just can't figure it out.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There is an O-ring inside of it that seals the line and allows it to still move.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:31 AM
bobwe1
Amateur

Thanks, I hope it holds, seems kind of flimsy. All the other vehicles I've had used fittings that were rigid. Seems like Dodge re-invented the wheel on this one. Never had a problem with rigid lines.