Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help again with 97 dodge van b2500 5.2 vinY

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Dhogan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help again with 97 dodge van b2500 5.2 vinY

Again bought this truck. Only fill cap and pipe were connected to nothing. Just hanging in hood. Which side, if I'm looking at the engine from the front bumper, does the oil go?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:29 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look on the top driverside valve cover, should be an open hole and rubber grommet near the front that the filler tube slides in

Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Dhogan

Originally Posted by JFloors
look on the top driverside valve cover, should be an open hole and rubber grommet near the front that the filler tube slides in
there is a hole but its on the passenger side. My concern is someone may have, at some point, put the valve covers back on backward.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhogan
My concern is someone may have, at some point, put the valve covers back on backward.
The fill hole and the PCV hole both are supposed to be in the driver's side valve cover. There is a hole in the passenger valve cover for the breather assembly that in turn has a hose running to the side of the air filter. It's also possible someone changed the driver's valve cover and did not put the correct one on.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Dhogan

It looks like the covers are reversed. Does that do damage to the truck?
​​​​​​

Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about you take a picture and post it to show us what you see???

For my 99 3500 van, On the driver side front of the valve cover is the hole for the oil filler tube as described earlier, it seats right into the valve cover if it is the correct one. At the rear of the same side of the valve cover is the crank case breather element that is attached with a hose to the air filter cover.
The passenger side has only the pcv valve connected to the rear top of the valve cover and the hose runs from there over to the driver side of the manifold

doubt if there is much damage but probably would run lots better hooked up as it is designed to be

Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
For my 99 3500 van, On the driver side front of the valve cover is the hole for the oil filler tube as described earlier, it seats right into the valve cover if it is the correct one. At the rear of the same side of the valve cover is the crank case breather element that is attached with a hose to the air filter cover.
The passenger side has only the pcv valve connected to the rear top of the valve cover and the hose runs from there over to the driver side of the manifold
That all different from mine, perhaps the V8 and V6 have different setups.