Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Rear Right Brake Drum Binds

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 AM
jcruz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Right Brake Drum Binds

Hello everyone. I have a pretty big issue with my van. I am currently stuck in Lake Tahoe CA. 1000 miles from home.

The right rear brake drum keeps getting overheated during braking while driving. As if its adjusting itself too tightly, then sticking and riding the drum until it overheats. You can feel the drag on the engine and driving it.

When you brake the RR drum squeals loudly at this point, and eventually the drum gets distorted and goes out of round adding pulsation during braking.

Mechanics have replaced the drum twice, the self adjuster kit (seems to be incorrectly installed at this time) once, the wheel cylinder once, lubed and reassembled everything three times but the problem persists.

Even after the new drums and scuffing up the brake shoes the brakes squeal when depressed, steadily at first, then after they overheat they distort the rotor and pulsate again.

I've repeated this same outcome 3 times.

New drum, fresh adjustment. That one drum squeals during braking, steadily at first. It eventually overheats the drum, distorts, and the pulsation starts. Keep in mind the self adjuster isn't working, so something else keeps tightening the shoes against the drum.

So, It doesn't seem to be a mechanical issue now. It's almost as if that single brake drum is staying pressurized. But it never locks up? It is ONLY happening to the RR drum. the rest of the brakes are fine.

The van is a 98 b3500, 5.9L and ABS.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Last edited by jcruz; 06-22-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Collapsed brake hose. I had a Sebring once that ate brakes at an alarming rate on the drivers side rear. To the point of actually melting the seals on the brake cylinder. Turned out to be the rubber hose between the wheel and the vehicle has collapsed inside at a bracket point mounting the hose to the body. Acted like a check valve. Would let pressure in, but not back out. At least that's something else to check. Also the proportioning valve for the rear, if it has one.