Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

anlake2 stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 AM
anlake2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anlake2 stalling issue

99 dodge ram van 1500.. Stalling problem!! I have now 183000 miles. It seems to be getting more frequent.. Started as missing a little and losing power and some lifter noise, as I accelerated up hills. Now after about 30 miles of driving at most any speed it acts just like the key got shut off. spme times I can put it in neutral and I can restart it. Sometimes I have to coast to a stop, wait a few minutes and I turn the key on, if the gages move it will start right up. so far I have replaced the coil, new rotor and cap and airfilter. The plugs and wires about six months old. put a sensor on and no codes..

any ideas

Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Now after about 30 miles of driving at most any speed it acts just like the key got shut off.
I would replace the crank sensor. They can be heat sensitive that's why it doesn't do it until it warms up(30 miles). It will not set a fault code either.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the gages move it will start right up.
2001 5.2 B3500 about 197,000 mi

same symptoms... got progressively worse over the course of a couple of weeks until it would not start sometimes, but sometimes would work for a whole day, then not the next day

went so far as to order refurb PCM for $300, which did not solve the problem

went through every possible connection looking for corrosion after purchasing FSM

changed all sensors that PCM reads... paid dealer $265 for diagnostic and they only shrugged their shoulders and recommended up to $1500 NEW OEM PCM and new PCM wiring harness, but would not guarantee that would fix the problem...

after 6 months of diagnostics, parts replacements, and about $700 total expenditures it went to the junkyard this past March...

hope you have better luck then me

Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM
anlake2
Amateur
Default stalling problem

Thank you for the reply..I listed the symptoms but did not mention I do have some vacuum leaks. {crazy air etc.} Can this cause my engine to stall like this. That was my first thought, but most say no. One person mentioned it might be in my wiring.. I want to check the crank sensor next

Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by anlake2
if the gages move it will start right up.
If the gauges move? If you're turning the key on and the gauges don't move you have a loss of power issue. Possibly a worn ignition switch, a failing ASD relay, or a failing ECM.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when mine failed, it first started with engine turning off while driving... I won't say stall, but completely dead... gauges went dead, but if I was traveling over 35, it would come back to life in 1 second... did this several times, after a month or so, then it failed to start after sitting for 90 minutes... replaced crank sensor and a couple of other parts in the parking lot where it failed... then had it towed to dealership where in the course of their diagnostics ( they initially showed a NO BUSS failure which if you keep your key on long enough will show up on the dash display, along with zero gauge response) the van started and never failed for another hour where they checked wiring, etc... after test drive they declared it fixed... drove it two days everything OK, then failed on a 100 mile drive on the road... again like key turned off and gauges turned off including speedo... called dealership and talked to mechanic and he then quoted me he thought it was the PCM (3 wire harness square box on the firewall under the hood left center) and $1500... well I already gave you the rest of the story...

NO BUSS means there is no communication of critical engine sensors to the PCM so the engine just stops firing... the BUSS wiring is series, which means if it fails then all engine sensors quit communicating all at once... traced all connections... every one of them and wiring on mine and all seemed good but could never get it reliable again...

again, I hope yours is not like mine but I think the 2001 and 1997 is pretty close...

Last edited by rsdata; 08-05-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM
anlake2
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
If the gauges move? If you're turning the key on and the gauges don't move you have a loss of power issue. Possibly a worn ignition switch, a failing ASD relay, or a failing ECM.
that is what I was thinking, What steps should I take to fix this, if that is the problem
Thankfull

Old 08-05-2017, 03:10 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When is the last time a tune up was done on your van, some your power loss may have something to do with this? New Plugs n wires, distributor cap and rotor, inspect the pickup coil inside the cap etc....
The engine shutting off sounds like moparite said, the crank sensor is failing/failed. Mine had done the same thing, engine cutting out and then simply die a couple years ago on a 100+ degree day. The crank sensor was less than a year old too, so i tried out the autozone brand and so far has been okay for just over 2 years

Old 08-05-2017, 03:59 PM
anlake2
Amateur

I did all the tune up stuff and coil. I am keeping note on the crank sensor also the ignition, checking this out

Old 08-05-2017, 05:15 PM
anlake2
Amateur

Thanks going to try a few things, then it may be bye bye I want to see if it is the ignition or ASD relay ( what ever that is) so if it is a failing ECM that is high dollar???

Quick Reply: anlake2 stalling issue