Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

4x4 van conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you aren't going to be going into any really challenging offroad conditions, have you considered just putting a good LSD unit in the rear diff, and running good tires? Friend had a Scout Travelall with posi in the back, (2wd) and we took that thing EVERYWHERE.... (and yes, many places we should not have..... ) Generally, with a posi, and a winch, you can go most places you are going to want to.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously I agree with the conversion... :-) and am not arguing against it, just trying to share some of the things I've learned in working through my current mess :-)

The point about the locker is well taken - these days folks ma a huge deal about driving on the outer banks in anything but a bona fide 4x4, but it's my understanding that back in the day folks would put a posi rear end in an old station wagon bigger bigger tires aired down and away the went on the soft sand all up and down the island...

I'll be interested to see what you're guy comes up with...

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you aren't going to be going into any really challenging offroad conditions, have you considered just putting a good LSD unit in the rear diff, and running good tires? Friend had a Scout Travelall with posi in the back, (2wd) and we took that thing EVERYWHERE.... (and yes, many places we should not have..... ) Generally, with a posi, and a winch, you can go most places you are going to want to.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by wca_tim
Obviously I agree with the conversion... :-) and am not arguing against it, just trying to share some of the things I've learned in working through my current mess :-)

The point about the locker is well taken - these days folks ma a huge deal about driving on the outer banks in anything but a bona fide 4x4, but it's my understanding that back in the day folks would put a posi rear end in an old station wagon bigger bigger tires aired down and away the went on the soft sand all up and down the island...

I'll be interested to see what you're guy comes up with...
Truth be told, the idea of a 4x4 van has always appealed to me...... I almost bought one of the factory chevy conversions when the opportunity came up..... Needed a LOT of work though. (the drivetrain/suspension was fine, but, the body/interior left a LOT to be desired)

Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Mike Mike
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x4 van conversion

I did think about a good posi. However I'm concerned about pulling a 6000 lb plus boat out of a wet steep boat launch. 4x4 really helps in that situation. Also im traveling alone and there is a piece of mind having 4x4. When your out in the woods looking for a good fishing spot and you run across an area of loose sand or big puddle and can't turn around, you feel a little more secure having something that can get you out of a jam.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike Mike
I did think about a good posi. However I'm concerned about pulling a 6000 lb plus boat out of a wet steep boat launch. 4x4 really helps in that situation. Also im traveling alone and there is a piece of mind having 4x4. When your out in the woods looking for a good fishing spot and you run across an area of loose sand or big puddle and can't turn around, you feel a little more secure having something that can get you out of a jam.
It can also get you further in than you really want to be before you get stuck.

If you are out by yourself, I HIGHLY recommend having a winch.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 PM
wca_tim
Professional

...make that double for 4wd... the only time I have ever been stuck off road so bad I couldn't dig, jack, use mats, come along, etc to get out was in the mud in my 4wd truck. I somehow got waaay beyond where anyone could have thought and it was a mess for a buddy in a truly bad *** truck to get me out again... and he was driving a ford of all things...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 PM
wca_tim
Professional

Hey man, you don't have to justify it to us... :-) ...do it because you want to if you want to... and do a great job of it and enjoy having something significantly different... You'll get no grief from me ...I'm the guy that decided yesterday I'm going with dana 60 / 70 front and rear axles instead the dana 44 / dodge 9.25 axles... why? because I want to and I can. :-) I seriously love some cool toys (as evidenced by all of them I seem to always have around...)

I can also relate to spending time off and alone - I do a fair amount of exploring, mountain biking, hunting, fishing, roaming the outer banks beaches, etc... and am planing a trip out west for the holidays. Having a backup plan or 6 is always a smart idea...

Last edited by wca_tim; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM
tjkoko
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...along with a couple-three wenches.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Mike Mike
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x4 van conversion

I appreciate all the input. I know this is not going to be an easy or inexpensive build if it can even be done and done how I want. There are good reasons why you don't see many if any dodge vans in the year I have converted to 4x4. Im sure it would be easier to go out and buy a new van and have it converted. Where is the fun in that. I just found out today that the title is finally on it way from new jersey so it won't be long before both vehicles are up on a lift. I've talked to advance off road and ujoint yesterday and both of them said it's not doable. There probably right but i need to see for myself. All in all its just something I would like to do if possible and realistic. I like the van and I have a vision for it. I can't believe I found a 2000 with 11,000 miles. Unfortunately it's a uni body. As I said the worst that can happen is it gets put into the company as another work truck that will last a long time. Even though it's a 2000, where are you going to find a mint condition work van with 11,000 miles for under 8 grand. I bought a 2014 ford e250 with 7,000 miles that cost me 24 grand and I hate driving that truck. I drive another 2000 dodge b2500 with 170,000 miles that I love to drive.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Thumbs up

I appreciate all the input. I know this is not going to be an easy or inexpensive build if it can even be done and done how I want. There are good reasons why you don't see many if any dodge vans in the year I have converted to 4x4. Im sure it would be easier to go out and buy a new van and have it converted. Where is the fun in that. I just found out today that the title is finally on it way from new jersey so it won't be long before both vehicles are up on a lift. I've talked to advance off road and ujoint yesterday and both of them said it's not doable. There probably right but i need to see for myself. All in all its just something I would like to do if possible and realistic. I like the van and I have a vision for it. I can't believe I found a 2000 with 11,000 miles. Unfortunately it's a uni body. As I said the worst that can happen is it gets put into the company as another work truck that will last a long time. Even though it's a 2000, where are you going to find a mint condition work van with 11,000 miles for under 8 grand. I bought a 2014 ford e250 with 7,000 miles that cost me 24 grand and I hate driving that truck. I drive another 2000 dodge b2500 with 170,000 miles that I love to drive.
What part of the country are you in?

Quick Reply: 4x4 van conversion