Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

86 B250 keeps losing spark.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 PM
DodgethisB250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 B250 keeps losing spark.

Ive just purchased a B250 conversion van (318) from a friend. He assured me all it needed was a new carb. Well, I put a 4 barrel Holley on it; it ran but when I went to start it up again it had no spark. I've changed the ignition control module and nothing.. I changed the coil and it started right up. I went to flush the coolant system and half way through went to run water through but it lost spark again. Any idea what it could be? Thanks.

Last edited by DodgethisB250; 10-09-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Include engine
Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 PM
tjkoko
Professional

Test for continuity between the two leads going into to the distributor. If no continuity, then the pickup coil inside of the distributor requires replacement. The job should take less than 90 minutes with the distributor completely removed from the motor.

Also fwiw I think that a 4 bbl Holley is a bit overdoing it for a 318 cu in motor. The two bbl Carter is all it needs.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkoko
Test for continuity between the two leads going into to the distributor. If no continuity, then the pickup coil inside of the distributor requires replacement.
Good chance to check if the cap and rotor contacts are in good shape too...
Another cheap and easy thing is check your battery connections are clean and secure, if in question, physically pull clean and re secure these as well as other various ground wires (battery to block, block to fire wall etc.) for good measure. I haven't personally experienced grounding issues yet... but there's plenty of threads of 70's and 80's and later model trucks and such where electrical gremlins, intermittent loss of spark or power was resolved replacing a weak battery, corroded wiring or cleaning up a bad ground connections.

just trying to be helpful in a small way

Last edited by JFloors; 10-10-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 AM
tjkoko
Professional

+++1^^^ However what I stated actually happened to me once each with two 77 Dodge Vans having a 318 motor.

And an internet search confirmed that the 2bbl carburator (Carter during the 1970s) is the standard carb for a stock 318 cu in motor

Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 PM
DodgethisB250
Default Thanks

Well it wasn't that, but it led to me tracing the wires back to a plug that was all gunked up. Just sprayed some electrical cleaner and swabbed it out and it starts right up. Appreciate the help

Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM
tjkoko
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgethisB250
Well it wasn't that, but it led to me tracing the wires back to a plug that was all gunked up. Just sprayed some electrical cleaner and swabbed it out and it starts right up. ...

If the problem were a single spark plug wire, then the vehicle should have started with no problem but the motor will "miss". Or was it the coil wire that was "gunked up"??

Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 AM
DodgethisB250
Default No no

No it wasn't a plug like that, it was a cluster of wires that was plugged in under the hood. Had the leads to the distributor connected to it

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM
tjkoko
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgethisB250
No it wasn't a plug like that, it was a cluster of wires that was plugged in under the hood. Had the leads to the distributor connected to it
Okay, understood. But fyi the proper term would be connector and not plug. 8))