Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

General Maintenance, problems, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:35 AM
Anthony Gordon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Maintenance, problems, etc.

i have a 2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500 with 111,000 miles on it. I bought it at 107,000 and got an oil change, new radiator, new brake pads, tires, and topped off fluids. I’m new to all of this maintenance stuff and want to keep it running as long and as smoothly as possible. What things should I check up on? I was told to check the timing chain, but after some research it seems like way out of my ballpark to do it myself. I was also told to always keep a fuel pump and water pump with me on my travels.

Is is there anything else I should do/check as precautionary measures? Thanks for the help guys/gals

Old 10-31-2017, 09:23 AM
tjkoko
Professional

Learn to change oil and spark plugs. Do you have a spare tire and bumper jack in case you have a flat?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Gordon
I was told to check the timing chain, but after some research it seems like way out of my ballpark to do it myself.
What engine? I did a valve job on 3.9L V6 this past summer so I changed the timing chain set only because I was that far into it. The old one did not seem that worn at all with 140K on it. So based on my experience you can easily go another 30K miles without giving it another thought.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Anthony Gordon

I have a 5.2L V8. I just changed the oil but change it regularly. How would I know if I need new spark plugs? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just change them anyway or is that unnecessary? And yes I have a spare and a jack.

Maybe be I should take it in for a mechanic to check the timing chain or is that unnecessary too?

Im gonna be taking this thing off grid (non 4x4 roads though, don’t worry) and want to feel confident in this beast’s ability!

thanks!

Old 10-31-2017, 12:26 PM
tjkoko
Professional

Originally Posted by Anthony Gordon
I have a 5.2L V8. I just changed the oil but change it regularly. How would I know if I need new spark plugs? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just change them anyway or is that unnecessary? And yes I have a spare and a jack.

Maybe be I should take it in for a mechanic to check the timing chain or is that unnecessary too?

Im gonna be taking this thing off grid (non 4x4 roads though, don’t worry) and want to feel confident in this beast’s ability!

thanks!
Based on at least 8000 miles per year, replace your plugs annually or bi-annually and change the oil every 3-4k miles. On my 1977 B150 1/2 ton my timing chain wasn't replaced until 225k miles. Presently you lack the skill to accomplish that operation.

Get yourself a factory service manual here. And you might find the FSM cheaper either at ebay or by doing a Google search. The FSM's are THE BOMB.