Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B200/318 - Cold Start and LOP when small amount of gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:28 PM
skorpz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation B200/318 - Cold Start and LOP when small amount of gas

Hey I am new here, let me know if there is something I should be doing differently. I have searched all over, but am having a hard time addressing my problem through search keywords.

As stated:
1980 Dodge B200
318 Engine

Problem #1:
When the van is cold (the choke the previous owner put in was incorrect, so a mechanic disconnected it), it starts up excellently, runs good for about 5-10 seconds, then starts to bog out. If I give it more gas, it gets even rougher and even smokier. I can smell mass amounts of gas burning, which makes sense, because I give it more gas and it gets worse (shaking, not running on all cylinders {as far as I can hear}).
It tends to burn a lot of fuel on a good day (25L/100km highway), partly because the exhaust manifold has a severe leak (mechanics tell me if I try and replace it, I will have bigger problems getting it back together). Also recently, it has started to run rough even when it is warm.

Problem #2:
There is a hesitation, as though the gas supply has stopped or the transmission is letting go and re-engaging. It feels like there is a stop and go until I either give it more gas, as to accelerate, or let go of gas completely. It happens only when I am giving it a slight amount of pressure on the pedal. It only happens when I am driving at speed (over 50km/hr), I either have to be giving it zero gas, or I have to be pushing the pedal to the point that I am slowly accelerating past the speed currently travelling. Like I said, I have to be going a quick enough speed to notice it at all.

Problem #3:
The issue has gotten worse over the past 2000km, it used to only creak on sharp corners in parking lots or whatever. Basically when I turn sharp there is a creaking or cracking sound. I am sure it is the tie-rods, but I'm not a mechanic and just going off of previous issues and knowledge.

I know I need to see a mechanic about it, but I am extremely poor at the moment, working on getting a job to support myself and my partner. We are living in it at the moment, and with the rains of winter upon us, we are battling water as well as these other issues, I am hoping there is a kind soul on here that can at least set me looking the right direction, I would be extremely appreciative for this

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 PM
tjkoko
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same happened with my '77 Tradesman B150 (or B100). First replace the PCV and its hose. rebuild the 2 BBL carb. Check that the vacuum advance on the distributor holds vacuum. If not then replace the vacuum unit. Is the timing correct?? What about the vacuum hoses, do they leak. It doesn't matter. Simply replace them with new ones with the correct internal diameter.

YOU MUST REPLACE THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD (upper case added for emphasis and I'm not shouting) for the breathing to be correct. NO LEAKS PERMITTED.

And use a torque wrench in torquing both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Is your carburetor the correct one for that vehicle WITH THE CORRECT JETTING AND METERINGS RODS???????

Get yourself a factory service manual and by the time the motor is running correctly you can almost label yourself "a mechanic". The latter is a dying breed. I've been through all of this and you have a simple project ahead of you that would take me a couple three days for me to complete now that I know what I'm doing. (I did this same stuff during the middle 90s.)

The FSM is the first one shown on this page otherwise google it or go here for downloading.

Last edited by tjkoko; 11-02-2017 at 10:12 PM.