Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

shift linkage adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM
rokhard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage adjustment

I have a 1990 b-250 with a 318.

Took my van in to have the shift linkage adjusted. Lately its hard to get it into park, and sometimes I have to pull on the lever to get it to start.

They said there is an either broken or bad spring in the column thats preventing it from working and adjustments wont cut it. They said I should try to find a new steering column cuz they dont know how to find the part or something.

Something about this seems off. What do you guys think? It seems like an adjustment issue to me, and I cant find anything about any spring related to the shifting lever.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Have a look here for a bit of the steering column. Unfortunately, you are likely going to have to disassemble it to see what's broke. Getting a junkyard column might end up being cheaper/easier.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:59 PM
LedZep

I am having a similar issue.

The van is not always sensing that it is in Park. I did already replace the Neutral Switch on the transmission. No change.

I need to move the shift lever, then put it back into Park, then it will start.

I am guessing the shift linkage is loose.

I don't think there are any springs. Simply the linkage over time has loosened. Let me know what you find.

Brian

Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

There are bushings on the linkage that wear out/break when they age. I think Dorman makes replacements, found in the "Help" section at your local parts store.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 AM
rokhard
Amateur

I found the adjustment for mine. It was simple. right next to the transmission. Loosen a nut, and pull the linkage in about about 1/8." Problem solved. My bushings looked okay.

Quick Reply: shift linkage adjustment