Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

89 B250 pleasureway camper. Help with motor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.....

Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Smiley Steve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back from the shop. They ran tests and recapped spark plugs and through their tests discovered a leaky injector and a leaking pressure regulator as well as a tps that was reading to low.
they quoted me $750 but I opted to source the parts myself and do the work.
Parts will be a couple days. I'll keep you guys posted when I install the new parts.
Are there any tips on installing the tps? I know it has a spring loaded catch inside, at what angle do I put it on before turning it to line up with the holes? Left or right?
And how about the injectors and pressure regulator? Any tips?
Do I need to plug a fuel line before removing? I've never swapped injectors before but these look simple. How about tourquing those injector bolts? Crucial? Or snug is good? I want to avoid paying anymore. Between the diagnostic and parts I already have $335 into it.
I appriciate all your help.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Install the TPS so that you turn it in the way the throttle shaft would if you step on the gas. If that makes any sense...... Shouldn't have to turn it far.

Hopefully the injectors/regulator will come with new gaskets...... ( I would think so...) Don't need to torque 'em, just tight, so there are no leaks. (plus a little bit.) You can pull the fuel pump relay, and crank the engine a bit, to relieve fuel pressure. No need to plug anything. Just make sure stuff stays clean.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Smiley Steve

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Install the TPS so that you turn it in the way the throttle shaft would if you step on the gas. If that makes any sense...... Shouldn't have to turn it far.

Hopefully the injectors/regulator will come with new gaskets...... ( I would think so...) Don't need to torque 'em, just tight, so there are no leaks. (plus a little bit.) You can pull the fuel pump relay, and crank the engine a bit, to relieve fuel pressure. No need to plug anything. Just make sure stuff stays clean.
Thank you sir! Exactly what I was looking for.
Milk let you know how it goes tomorrow.
cheers.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Smiley Steve

That seemed to do the trick! It's never run better. It used to do this little shake when I let of the brake and let crawl but it's so smooth now! The exhaust is normal temp and smells normal as well. The best part is the hard start issue that I've had since day one is finally gone. I can wait to get it out to the desert and see what kinda mpg's we'll get.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Recap.
- fuel injectors
- fuel pressure regulator
- throttle position sensor

the injector was leaking and causing one of the plugs to foul and dump fuel to the exhaust to burn.
The other parts were defective or worn.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:19 AM
tjkoko
Professional

So much for modern electronics and sensors in these late model automobiles. I've just purchased a '94 B250 with only 65k miles on it and I'm still looking out to get a 70's van carburated. Just way way simpler to diagnose. Mechanical, you know.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Smiley Steve

Originally Posted by tjkoko
So much for modern electronics and sensors in these late model automobiles. I've just purchased a '94 B250 with only 65k miles on it and I'm still looking out to get a 70's van carburated. Just way way simpler to diagnose. Mechanical, you know.
Oh I know. I owned a 2010 sprinter. I hated every minute of it. I never knew when a $5000 repair bill was coming down.
I feel a lot more comfortable knowing if need be, I can turn some wrenches and possibly save thousands.
Feeling really good right now. Prepping for a trip to Baja for the winter months. The van is primmed!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Awesome!!! Keep us updated on your progress. Hopefully, you are golden now. Enjoy the trip.

Quick Reply: 89 B250 pleasureway camper. Help with motor.