Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 ram van electrical troubleshoot

Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Gretchen Nothhouse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 ram van electrical troubleshoot

hellododge friends.
I recently ran my older battery dead camping. We had a hard time getting it back to town after jumping it. It would die while idling, but I was able to restart it several times in our way to buy a new battery. We bought a new batter,installed it and drive about 200 miles, no issues. Yesterday we had been driving about an hour when the check gauges light came on, the battery gauge was not reading anything. We figured we would be needing a new alternator. We left the battery on to charge overnight and drove to auto store to have the alternator tested. On the way to the store the battery gauge was running normal. The battery and the alternator were both tested and are in good order. So I’m scratching my head. I have a long haul trip back home and don’t want to have any unexpected trouble on the road. Any ideas on what could be going on? Help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Cables, grounds and connections would be the places I'd be checking.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The alternator could be on it's way out and with all of the strain to recharge the 2 batteries could've cause a temporary overheating and shutdown.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Gretchen Nothhouse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Okay Incase anyone else ever has this happen! We checked all connections, everything was copacetic. We decided to go ahead and make the 1200 mile drive home. An hour and a half in the electrical gauge tanks again. We go to an autozone, they test the alternator and it’s bad! Should have had a second opinion! Thanks for the responses and help. Cheers. We made it safe home to missouri

Old 01-07-2018, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Cool. Welcome home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 ram van electrical troubleshoot