Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1978 B200 Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:56 AM
Maugris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 B200 Fuel Pump Problems

Hey guys, I’d first like to thank you for the various information posted on here. I purchaed the 1978 B200 in question a couple months ago, and this has been the spot for repair advice and tips.

i’ve recently run into a problem large enough for me to make an account and post this thread. I’ve been having fuel pump issues, so last week I decided to change it out. During the process, I noticed one of the bolts holding it to the block would wiggle freely in and out. I looked in the hole and noticed the threads have been removed. The thing is completely smooth, like its been drilled out, but not re-threaded. So I bought a helicoil and plan to throw it in there, but theres a bracket in my way. I can’t drill a straight hole with this thing in the way, so I started to remove it. There are three bolts, the first I removed was connected to the alternator. When I started to remove the second, coolant began streaming out, so I tightened it back up. Anyone know what this thing is, and if there’s a trick to removing it?

Any suggestions are appreciated by this novice. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Some of the bolts will go into the cooling jackets, might just have to drain down the radiator before removing the stuff in your way.

Another option would be to just install an electric fuel pump, and skip the mechanical feller altogether......

Quick Reply: 1978 B200 Fuel Pump Problems