Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Starting issue isolated between Switch and Relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 PM
home_on_wheels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue isolated between Switch and Relay

Hello!

I’m so close to figuring out my starting issues on my 1995 Dodge Ram Van B2500, 240k miles. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without reading these forums along the way, thanks!

I had starting problems, so I replaced my: battery, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires. That solved the problem for a while, and then I had intermittent starting issues. So I replaced the Starter Relay, and that got her working, for a while.

One day, she just wouldn’t start. I was on a trip, and found that if I jumped the Starter Relay plug with a paper clip, she started. I did that till I got home, and chopped the top off a Starter Relay and just thumb over the contact to start her (picture below); this method works every time.

I looked at the wiring diagram, and decided to replace my Ignition Starter Switch. I swapped what looked like the OEM part with a new one (Airtex from Rockauto), and she still won’t start!

As with the previous Ignition Starter Switch, the dash lights, gauges, and radio all power on when I turn the key to Run. When I turn the key to Start, nothing happens. No attempt to start, no crank, nothing. I checked the fuses again, they’re all good. Thumbing over the Starter Relay still gets her to start.

My current diagnosis is that the Starter Relay isn’t receiving signal from the Ignition Starter Switch. Am I looking at bad wiring, a bad plug, or something that’s in-between the Switch and Sensor that I’m missing? I didn't see anything to cause me alarm while changing out the Ignition Starter Switch.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Starting issue isolated between Switch and Relay-dsc_2594.jpg   Starting issue isolated between Switch and Relay-wiring-diagram-ignition.png  

Last edited by home_on_wheels; 01-20-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be the park/neutral switch. Put both feet on the brakes and try moving the shifter while turning the key.
Steve

Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM
home_on_wheels

I tried moving the shifter while turning the key; I moved through all the shifter positions with no effect. Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 PM
home_on_wheels

I gave in and took her to a mechanic. They found that the Neutral Safety Switch Pigtail had become disconnected at the transmission.

I've had a few plugs just hanging underneath my vehicle since I got her, but didn't think to go down there and look for a new, unplugged plug :P It had been dragged on the ground for a while, so they replaced her and now she starts up! On to the fuel pump :P

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Starting issue isolated between Switch and Relay