Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Stupid starter question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 b2500 ram van Stupid starter question....

Hey gang.
I just traded a motor home for cash plus a 1997 dodge ram van 2500 with a 5.9 liter auto.
Guy drive it here fine and when he got here he shut it down and swapped his gear from the van to the Mohome. He finally left and I went and pulled carbs on a bike I'm working on.
came back to the van a few hours later to move it into its storage spot where he Mohome sat.
when I went to start it I got nothing.
Doesn't even click.
Battery has 12.3 volts sitting.
Starter relay clicks.
Dash lights DO NOT go out when I turn the key.
When I put a meter on the battery the first key turn registers the fuel pump prime draw. (.5 volt draw them back up)
Turning the key to start the van registers NO DROP IN VOLTAGE.
My question is this...could a dead starter actually cause no battery draw when trying to start? I have had starters just up and die before theyve always still tried pulling from the battery still. This one seems like it's just all if a sudden not connected. Turning the key gets nothing besides he starter relay to click.
normally I would just pull and bench test the starter but I am swamped right now and if I can get some insights from you guys as to something else it could be before I go to jacking blocking and climbing around underneath that would be great.
Park or neutral saftey switch in these vans?
It does the same nothing in park and neutral.
thanks ahead yall!
Daz aka ItchyBruno

Last edited by Itchybruno74; 02-28-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Title update and notification settings...
Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 PM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

try a known good battery and ck the grounds

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try a jump start at all? also check the positive for good connection at ends, at battery and starter

Last edited by JFloors; 02-28-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Originally Posted by JFloors
Did you try a jump start at all? also check the positive for good connection at ends, at battery and starter
Yes. I tried jump start just for the **** of it. I didn't need to, to tell it wasn't the battery but I did. As stated there is no draw from the starter when key cranked. Headlights don't drop. Day lights don't drop. Voltage at battery dowant drop. Battery terminals have already been cleaned and tightened up solid. Its most definitely some issue with neutral safety switch. I am going to try bypassing it tomorrow. Already verified starter is fine. Starter relay is fine. Everything points to safety switch. Mananas we will see.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

I had a van once with a anti-theft where you had to turn on the left turn signal for the starter to work. Can you ask the seller if there's such a thing with yours?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Originally Posted by alloro
I had a van once with a anti-theft where you had to turn on the left turn signal for the starter to work. Can you ask the seller if there's such a thing with yours?
Seller is a flake but I will try that. Theres a dummy anti theft light / fake alarm light on the dash. I'm still leaning towards neutral safety switch...

Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Default Clarification?

So. Neutral safety switch is a 3 wire. 2 outside terminals are reverse lights switch.
middle terminal is the neutral safety.
Can someone that knows this please verify the following:

To test the neutral safety switch I would put a meter from middle terminal to ground and or tranny housing. If switch is good and shift linkage is adjusted properly I will get a closed circuit or 0 resistance on the meter in park and nuetral? Is this correct?
If I get an open circuit I have a bad switch? Correct? Refer to horrible diagram.
Blue posts are reverse switch.
Red post is neutral terminal. Red MM box is multimeter probing middle terminal to tranny housing / ground.

Yes. I know this is not the actual dodge b2500 switch. Just a good reference pic of a 3 pin switch with same pin configuration to use for horrible diagram purposes .

Thanks ahead
DazSpaz

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
If switch is good and shift linkage is adjusted properly I will get a closed circuit or 0 resistance on the meter in park and neutral? Is this correct? If I get an open circuit I have a bad switch? Correct?
Correct on all points.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Originally Posted by alloro
Correct on all points.

Appreciated. Thank you.
Can you also shed some insight into it failing?
Is it typical for it to just quit with no forewarning? Nothing leading up to failure. Just shut it off and dead. That's how they go or what? This Is my first round with a no crank no start like this that I haven't solved right away .Very annoying.
thanks again .
Daz

Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
Appreciated. Thank you.
Can you also shed some insight into it failing?
Is it typical for it to just quit with no forewarning? Nothing leading up to failure. Just shut it off and dead. That's how they go or what?
I've never had that particular problem with the vss either, but with it's location and the elements, heat and seasons it exposed to I'd say why not? This sensor cost is no more than $20. at most any parts place, if it tested bad atleast it's a cheap replace n fix for you.... also answers your question too if it solves the no start.

Quick Reply: Stupid starter question...