Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Oil Dipstick Tube location ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM
ramvansam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Dipstick Tube location ??

98 ram 1500 van 3.9 l v6, replaced heads idler arm misc. ready to go, discovered I had not reinstalled the oil dipstick tube. It came out during the tear down, don't know why. I looked and looked for the port , removed power steering unit to see better, crawled under and looked and felt all around, held tube in approx. placement ... no port to reinsert the thing into. I am stymied. Pulled the left exhaust manifold to see better, used mirror lights felt all around. couple hours frustration. I am defeated by a dipstick tube.
HELP !!

What am I missing? where is the port to reinsert the dad gummed thing ??!!

RAM VAN SAM stuck on a dipstick.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Doesn't it go into the timing cover somewhere???

Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 AM
ramvansam
Default dipstick tube location

98 ram 1500 van 3.9 l v6, replaced heads idler arm misc. ready to go, discovered I had not reinstalled the oil dipstick tube. It came out during the tear down, don't know why. I looked and looked for the port , removed power steering unit to see better, crawled under and looked and felt all around, held tube in approx. placement ... no port to reinsert the thing into. I am stymied. Pulled the left exhaust manifold to see better, used mirror lights felt all around. couple hours frustration. I am defeated by a dipstick tube.
HELP !!

What am I missing? where is the port to reinsert the dad gummed thing ??!!

RAM VAN SAM stuck on a dipstick.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:31 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Passenger side of the front of the crankshaft at the front of the engine. See this image where the green plug is installed, that's where the dipstick tube goes.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:33 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Front passenger side of the engine next to the crankshaft. See the green plug in this image, that's where it goes.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 AM
ramvansam

Do you live in N california, if so I will buy you lunch.. Thing is, I distinctly remember checking the oil from the drivers side. now the stick is on the pass side.. go figger... DOH !!!! THANX!!!!!!!!!!! running within the day, as soon as I reinstall exhaust manifold power steer pumd etc etc...

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick Tube location ??