Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmision overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Tlockie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmision overheating

I am new to this group. I have searched a lot threads. But still cant find the answer I am looking for. So Here goes. I have a 97 B2500 Conversion van. It has the 5.9l Runs great. I pull a small travel trailer with it. Thousands of miles with no issues at all. until now. Went Camping last weekend only about 40 miles from home. When I got to my camp sight I went to back up. As I slowed to park the transmission wouldn't free wheel. It actually killed the engine. Restarted the engine everything was fine except o/d light was on. tranny smelt hot. Went to go home. O/d light was off as normal everything worked fine until the last stop sign before I got home. It would not shift into overdrive. engine would rev. nothing would happen. finally shifted o/d light again came on.. From what I have read it seems the tranny getting too hot could be the culprit. ANY THOUGHTS? The fluid level is where it should be. I read about the check valve delete. And Decided to try this. I removed the cooler line with the check valve. And this is where I am confused. The check valve is suppose to be on the return line. But the direction of flow for the check valve is from the transmission side to the radiator. So it must be the high pressure side right? I don't want to use barbed nipples and hose clamps if this is the high pressure side Do I? Thanks for any info on my van.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Check valve is on supply side. It's isn't even remotely high pressure, so, hose barbs and double clamps will work. Or, just drill out the check pull, clean the line REALLY well, and reinstall it.

Quick Reply: Transmision overheating