Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

To Sell or Not

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:42 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To Sell or Not

Hi, I bought a 2001 DRV 3500 for a decent price a little over a year ago. It was a medical patient transport fleet vehicle that had problems which caused it to sit for a long time. Whatever the big problem(s) was it was fixed and ran OK when I bought it with 68K miles. I've spent some time and money- maybe 2 grand- to get it in pretty much excellent shape with no problems or codes at this time. Without considering what to replace the van with would it be smart to sell the van while it's in real good shape? I guess I'm really asking if older DRVans, even with low miles, just tend to be problem after problem. I do like the van but have come to suspect these vans seem prone to problems after all I've read on the internet about them. On a site like this of course we just read of the problems so I don't know if there are others out there who consider them reliable or not. Are these "problem prone" vehicles?
Thanks

Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 PM
emanuel_v19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently acquired a 97 with 195,000 miles. It runs strong and I hope it lasts me at least 50k mi without any issues because I dumped almost the same amount that you did! I consider it an all around van capable of doing a lot especially with the power it has. Also, I am trying to put a bed in it to go this summer to Canada! Best of luck in your decision.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emanuel_v19
I recently acquired a 97 with 195,000 miles. It runs strong and I hope it lasts me at least 50k mi without any issues because I dumped almost the same amount that you did! I consider it an all around van capable of doing a lot especially with the power it has. Also, I am trying to put a bed in it to go this summer to Canada! Best of luck in your decision.
I put a bed in mine and took off (from Fl.) to the Smokey Mountains in Tn.. Started off strong thru the mountains but in a matter of 2 days could barely drive over the peaks and so headed back home thinking it was the torque converter or tranny. Made it to Ga. but conked out in a rest area. I was stuck there 5 days while I put in new ignition switch but still wouldn't drive so up graded AAA to "premium" to get 200 mile tow to sister in laws where the main problem of an extremely clogged cat converter was fixed. Same day I drove van back from that repair it wouldn't start. Took a week to figure jiggling the PCM ("brain") connectors would occasionally allow van to start but it would keep running once it started so drove the last 200 mi home where I eventually replaced the PCM (which probably went bad during welding of the cat converter).
That was a month ago and van runs fine now. That experience dropped my confidence in the van but really shouldn't have as it was more the circumstances being semi stranded for a couple weeks than the fairly simple and relatively cheap fixes ($500 combined). The van is for road trips coincidently like you with Canada my next destination. My post was sort of stupid but your response ending with "Best of luck" says it all- with any vehicle on a long trip it is a matter of chance (luck) whether things go bad. I put myself in a situation where a major breakdown away from home could really have left me screwed. I like my van a lot but will delay my next road trip until I have more than a couple grand for when things go bad. Maybe I'll run into you in Canada.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:02 PM
emanuel_v19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arty4444

I put a bed in mine and took off (from Fl.) to the Smokey Mountains in Tn.. Started off strong thru the mountains but in a matter of 2 days could barely drive over the peaks and so headed back home thinking it was the torque converter or tranny. Made it to Ga. but conked out in a rest area. I was stuck there 5 days while I put in new ignition switch but still wouldn't drive so up graded AAA to "premium" to get 200 mile tow to sister in laws where the main problem of an extremely clogged cat converter was fixed. Same day I drove van back from that repair it wouldn't start. Took a week to figure jiggling the PCM ("brain") connectors would occasionally allow van to start but it would keep running once it started so drove the last 200 mi home where I eventually replaced the PCM (which probably went bad during welding of the cat converter).
That was a month ago and van runs fine now. That experience dropped my confidence in the van but really shouldn't have as it was more the circumstances being semi stranded for a couple weeks than the fairly simple and relatively cheap fixes ($500 combined). The van is for road trips coincidently like you with Canada my next destination. My post was sort of stupid but your response ending with "Best of luck" says it all- with any vehicle on a long trip it is a matter of chance (luck) whether things go bad. I put myself in a situation where a major breakdown away from home could really have left me screwed. I like my van a lot but will delay my next road trip until I have more than a couple grand for when things go bad. Maybe I'll run into you in Canada.
Wow, I'll need to be more careful I suppose. I have replaced almost everything that may break during my trip so I hope I don't encounter any breakdowns. That would seriously set me back and I may not be able to ride my entire road trip. I plan on leaving from San Jose the last weekend of this month so I should be in Canada the beginning of July, let me know if you are around! I do plan on buying an extra ignition coil in case the original goes bad. I did replace the cat and oxygen sensors so I'm not too worried about that. But thank you for the feedback and I apologize to hi jack this thread!

Old 06-07-2018, 05:52 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All old vehicles that aren't used daily are problem vehicles. Old one-owner vehicles are also problem vehicles because they just get used to stuff being broken. In locations where safety inspections are done in detail and legally required you can at least know that your new vehicle will be "safe" even if it isn't reliable. I wouldn't touch an older used vehicle from a location where they don't at least have safety inspections between changes of ownership. It may have not gotten any maintenance other than topping up the oil for 15+ years.

I wouldn't take any older vehicle of unknown history on a road trip without going on a few shakedown trips first. Heck, I always put about 1000 km on my van each spring before heading out on a cross-country trip.

Parts in Canada are usually a day away if you are in a city or multiple days away if you are in the middle of nowhere or in Newfoundland where the parts need to be flown-in. I am packing spare u-joints and wheel bearings this trip. Nobody stocks parts for vehicles older than 10 years here unless they are common with a vehicle that is under 10 years old.

Quick Reply: To Sell or Not