Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

slow start

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 PM
vanmantim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow start

OK so I have a 2001 dodge ram 3500 passenger van engine is a 5.9 v8. last few days it has been cranking real slow. I hear a the clicking from the starter then it starts doing a slow turn over most of the time other times it takes a few key turns.it acts like its getting little to no power at first them stats winding up faster till it starts. I have put in a new alternator had the battery full looked at starter has been looked at. everything has been checked out with them green light on all. please help I cant figure out why its doing this.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is the battery, what do the connections look like, and has it been on the bench and load tested? Do that first before ruling out the battery

Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 PM
vanmantim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all have been fully tested on and off the bench everything battery starter and alternator pass battery is fairly new and the alternator was just replaced yesterday

Old 06-16-2018, 10:41 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You'll need to connect a voltmeter down on the starter battery terminal and to some place on the starter body. Then check the volt reading while cranking and compare it to a volt reading at the battery while cranking. If the reading is lower at the starter you have a wiring issue, if it's the same at the starter you have a bad starter...bench testing be dammed.

Quick Reply: slow start