Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

how to drain gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 PM
anthonyarnold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to drain gas tank?

I have a Dodge 3500 van (year 2000, converted to a RoadTrek motorhome) and I live in Florida. During Hurricane Irma I needed to siphon gas out of the van to run a portable home generator BUT I think there is an anti-siphon check valve somewhere in the fill line. I can't get a 1/4 inch Lowe's pump siphon hose to the tank, maybe because of the anti-siphon valve, maybe the siphon hose is too flexible, maybe because there are too many corners in the fill line.
I'm looking for a solution that will be hassle-free in emergencies.
I am looking at the solutions listed below, but I'm not a mechanic:
(1) jumper the fuel pump relay and let the fuel pump drain it, but I can't find the relay and I don't know where to break the fuel line to capture the fuel. At the fuel filter?
(2) youTube videos suggest getting a really stiff 1/4 inch (fridge ice maker supply) siphon hose and cutting a sharp angle on one end. This may push past the ball check valve. Will it damage any emission or gas gauge sensors?
(3) There doesn't seem to be a drain plug on the gas tank.
(4) This is a conversion van, adapted to be a RoadTrek motorhome with a gasoline generator that draws from the top 3/4 of the van fuel tank. Maybe I can make use of the gas line to the generator in some way?
Any suggestions? Is there an option I am overlooking? I'm willing to hire a mechanic to put in a drain valve somewhere.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I would not force anything down the filler neck.

find the fuel rail....not sure what engine you have but most have Schrader valve on it...attach a fitting there.
find the fuel pump relay...pull the relay out...will the key in run; 2 pins should have 12 volts. with a fused jumper wire...use automotive stranded wire so you don't spread the relay pins. strip the insulation off the wire at each end. insert one end of the wire into one of the pins with battery voltage. touch one of the other 2 pins with no power....one will run the fuel pump...the other will do nothing.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

If you have access to the top of the fuel tank you can see if you have a drain port(used to pump out the tank). It is capped off but you could hook up a hose to it along with a valve and a pump.

Quick Reply: how to drain gas tank?