Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

46re won’t shift after service

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Steven W Jones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re won’t shift after service

I recently got a 2000 ram van 3500 that wasn’t really taken care of- shifted fine, but in catching up with services I changed the atf fluid (Atf+4) dropped the pan, changed the filter, and did a band adjustment on the front band only exactly like procedure (inch pound wrench and all) , and now that its all back together, it won’t shift out of first! I also cannot manually shift it into second either. I went quick in it and it doesn’t seem to want to go into third either!
before taken apart I did have a code for the output speed sensor but when I pulled it it had some of the really fine metallic flakes like the magnet trapped so I cleaned it and reinstalled- I heard the first 3 gears are all hydraulic so that wouldn’t cause this issue I believe?
im hoping it’s something stupid I missed. The band adjustment tightened up as expected so I really don’t think I broke the anchor. I’m hoping I don’t have to drop the pan again because I didnt put a drain hole like everyone suggests in it.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Governor on that trans is electronic. If it worked before you changed the fluid, no reason for it not to work after.... Is fluid level good?

Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

recheck fluid warm as HeyYou said and might try to readjust the front band since it is fairly easy, but stop short of the 2 7/8 backoff turn before tightening the locknut. This was my first and only experience doing this but ended up ok
I had done mine a while back like and like you tested first attempt with same result as you, On mine the torque wrench didn't click as expected though and the darned screw was close to getting a bath inside the pan, I stopped jsut short thinking something was not right.
I had counted exposed threads at the start and back it out again to close as it was and started again My torque wrench was faulty, but with a new one got the right adjustment starting over again, stopping at about 2 1/4 turns and tighten nut since the screw tends to want to turn as you tighten the nut anyway. Got mine shifting well again.
Shouldn't hurt anything to retry

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Steven W Jones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the late response- thanks y’all, funny enough as a last ditch test before messing with bands again I unplugged all the sensors from the tranny and plugged them back in and it shift fine now. Gotta love Chrysler. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 46re won’t shift after service