Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Headlight failure, whats the easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Etzu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight failure, whats the easy fix?

I have the common headlight issue, but am not about to drop $1000 on a new front engine computer.

I'm taking off next week and haven't gotten my hands on the manual yet. I was thinking to just jump the wires from the passenger side.

Normally I would just get a headlight relay upgrade kit, but again, leaving in a matter of days, won't get here in time.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure of your build year so hard to say specifics. if the headlights are run from a driver from a module I would not jump wires to power both headlights as the draw may burn out the right side driver. If I had to do something quick... better to use the right side driver to power the control side of a relay so the draw isn't significant. you can get a relay in any parts store. the only issue would be if the right side driver fails,both headlights fail.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Etzu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
not sure of your build year so hard to say specifics. if the headlights are run from a driver from a module I would not jump wires to power both headlights as the draw may burn out the right side driver. If I had to do something quick... better to use the right side driver to power the control side of a relay so the draw isn't significant. you can get a relay in any parts store. the only issue would be if the right side driver fails,both headlights fail.
It's a 94 ram van.

I think I'm gonna go pick up some 9004 sockets and build a quick and dirty headlight upgrade it and run power battery direct. Would also increase the luminosity significantly.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

just make sure you use a relay...most automotive toggle switches are not designed to carry high current.

Quick Reply: Headlight failure, whats the easy fix?