Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel tank always overflows

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel tank always overflows

Ha, another problem with the van. For the last year the fuel tank always overflows at the gas station as I'm filling it up. This happens at the end of a complete fill and I've got the handle held wide-open (In Ontario self-serve stations are not permitted to have locking handles so we have to hold them...). The end result is a good ejection of fuel when I hit full which is rather hazardous so I don't let my wife stay in the van when filling. Is there anything in the filler neck that can fail? I tried shining a light around the fuel filler lines on the inside of the fender and I couldn't see any light inside the fuel filler to indicate a broken line.
Thanks, Steve

Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've occasionally had the opposite, where I'd have difficulty filling rather than what you are dealing with Steve. Admittedly don't know much (if anything) on this subject but some of the searches I've pulled up concerning your overflow issue (Dodge, but not our B vans) suggest it's likely the check valve in the tank which is not repairable so replacing the tank solves the issue... maybe not the case for you idk?

I'm sure you already know but just be safe and keep of track of mpg's so you can fill close but not to the spill point until you can find an answer

Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Does this happen at any gas station or the same one all the time?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM
SteveR
Captain

Originally Posted by alloro
Does this happen at any gas station or the same one all the time?
It happens everywhere with many styles of pumps. We were down to Tennessee recently so I got to try lots of pumps.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:33 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveR
It happens everywhere with many styles of pumps. We were down to Tennessee recently so I got to try lots of pumps.
Then it's most likely the tank vent tube is clogged. It runs parallel to the filler neck to allow air to escape as fuel is being put in. Here is an example of the filler tube with the vent tube alongside it.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:42 PM
SteveR
Captain

Finally got back to this. I removed the fill pipe but found it wasn't blocked at all. The hoses were not either. What did surprise me was that the pipe that "connects" to the tank is just stuffed in through a foam gasket! I decided to paint the pipe as its somewhat expensive. I did add an extra gear clamp on the foam as it was just a slide fit and was kind of weird to me. When I went to fill up the tank I didn't get any overflow but the gas station I went to was very slow at pumping. I filled the van with premium for the winter so I won't know if this worked out until next summer.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:14 AM
Sideshow88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the make, model and year? My 2005 Durango 5.7 did that and it turned out there was a recall on the entire fuel tank that fixed the issue.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 PM
SteveR
Captain

I am not aware of any recalls or TSBs, it is a 1991 Dodge B250. I am starting to think this began happening around the same time I replaced the front suspension so perhaps it is related to the stance of the vehicle. The tank has never read more than about 7/8's of a tank in the past 20 years either.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Then it's most likely the tank vent tube is clogged. It runs parallel to the filler neck to allow air to escape as fuel is being put in. Here is an example of the filler tube with the vent tube alongside it.

the purpose of the that tube is refueling vapour recovery...it prevents fumes from escaping to atmosphere when refueling. the tank should vent air thru a evap cannister when refueling not the atmosphere.
pressure build up in the tank is what shuts the pump off.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:08 PM
SteveR
Captain

I did some investigating today and there are three lines that route from the tank up to the front of the van. There is the fuel supply, fuel return, and also the vapour recovery. The vapour recovery line appears to be something like 1/8" ID so I do not feel that it can be the issue.

The next step is probably to bring some boards to the gas station and park on them to raise the left rear wheel when fuelling.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank always overflows