Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:41 PM
mrlee1955
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights

My 96 B2500 dash lights went out after plugging in my phone charger. Fuse box in the glove box has no label so I checked them one at a time. I only found one that was blown. It was in spot #20 and it was a 3 amp fuse. I have never seen a 3 amp fuse in a van fuse box before. I had a spare 15 amp fuse and put it in. Also I read somewhere on line that #14 was for dash lights and needed a 15 amp fuse so I stuck in a new one. STILL NO DASH LIGHTS!!!! What's next???

Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 PM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The head lamp switch controls the instrument panel lights. Is it turned all the way down? The manual shows a 3A fuse in fuse block #20. Upstream of the headlamp switch is a 20A fuse in fuse block #3, then a 40A fuse in PDC #14.
Did you plug your phone charger into the cigar lighter? That is powered by PDC #15 40A, the ignition switch, and FB #9 15A.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:08 PM
mrlee1955

I used a axillary lighter port in a small box under the drivers seat. The one in the dash is disconnected. I removed the fuse from #20 and nowhere in my town could I find a 3 amp fuse. I turned the **** on the lights to double check. One way it turns on the dome light but nothing the other way. Where is the down stream fuse box? All I can find is the one in the glove box and one under the hood near the core support.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:36 PM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<Checking> Yup, FB #20 is 3A. Makes sense, it supplies power only for dash lights... the instrument cluster, radio, overdrive defeat, cigar lighter, rear window defogger, heater/ac, rear heater/ac... those lights. Not much juice required.
Check for voltage. Pull the headlight switch out one stop for running lights. Turn full counter-clockwise but do not engage the detente to turn on the dome lights. Pull FB #20 and check for battery voltage on the right pin to a good ground.

No other fuse boxes other than the fuse block next to the glove box and power distribution center under the hood.

If you had a dead short to ground on FB #20, it should short again even with a 15A fuse. Not good. Find a 3A fuse.
No idea what was tapped to get power under the seat (seat belt warning system?) or what effect that might have on the electrical system.

Last edited by BlockHeadGearBender; 09-28-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:22 PM
mrlee1955

No power at #20 AT ANY TIME. It is a conversion van with about 7 lighters and none have power. The dash lights worked until I tryed to charge the phone!!!!

Quick Reply: Dash lights