Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'96 Quigley 4x4 B3500 tie rod parts help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Dauer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Quigley 4x4 B3500 tie rod parts help

This is a long shot but as the title says: I'm trying to source tie-rod parts for my '96 Quigley converted 4x4 B3500 van. Had a knowledgeable chassis guy look at it, he thought perhaps it was late 70's to early 90's GMC 4x4 parts, ordered the parts only to find he was mistaken.

Put in a call to quigley with the VIN, they informed him that they were custom machined Dana/Spicer parts that can only

be acquired from Quigley at the tune of $500 (both tie rod ends and sleeve). I refuse to accept that at this juncture, it seems implausible. What seems more likely is that Quigley prefers not to be forthcoming with the off the shelf part numbers they use as to maximize their profit.

My hope is that there are other Quigley Dodge owners out there that have replaced their tie rods and can provide some insight. Or perhaps just members with a wealth of knowledge of all things 4x4. I've attached a few pics of the front end to help expedite the task at hand.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Think I would sample parts for a 96 3/4 ton truck. (Dodge, of course) Though, I don't recall if they came with that style steering.... Maybe the HD steering from a 98 or newer truck??

Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 PM
Dauer

Right, I may have to just purchase some front end parts from various Dodges and see what looks like a match, then return the rest. I wouldn't think it has front end components from a '98 truck because it was converted in late '96 but will explore that route as a last resort.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 PM
Widebody
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dauer
Right, I may have to just purchase some front end parts from various Dodges and see what looks like a match, then return the rest. I wouldn't think it has front end components from a '98 truck because it was converted in late '96 but will explore that route as a last resort.
I thought Quigley used ford parts for their 4x4 conversions of that era. Did you look at the axle? Ford of that era may have sourced some spice parts as well but I would look at the f250 of that era. I dont think they used parts from a dodge truck but could be wrong. Wished mine was a 4x4 conversion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Dauer

It's a Dana 44 axle, I'll have to check the paperwork but I believe the springs are Ford sourced. The one bit of information that Quigley was forthcoming with was the fact that it used Dana/spicer parts. I'll take a look at some Ford parts see what I come up with with.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:24 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it apart, measure the threads and tapers. I've done this before for my Hupmobile in order to find modern rod ends.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:00 AM
Widebody
Rookie

It's a Dana 44 axle, I'll have to check the paperwork but I believe the springs are Ford sourced. The one bit of information that Quigley was forthcoming with was the fact that it used Dana/spicer parts. I'll take a look at some Ford parts see what I come up with with.
Pretty sure ford used Dana 44 front axles in the early 90's. I'd check 1992 era. Maybe Quigley had to shorten the overall rod to make it fit to the van? You should be able to change out the tie rod ends only.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Dauer

That's where I'll start looking then. I'd prefer to swap out only the ends, although it appears the passenger side ball joint is integrated into the end of the tie rod. I assume it's just pressed in?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Widebody
Rookie

That's where I'll start looking then. I'd prefer to swap out only the ends, although it appears the passenger side ball joint is integrated into the end of the tie rod. I assume it's just pressed in?
Not sure what pieces you are referring to. The long piece that is connected at an angle to the steering box is called a drag link/center link. Then there is the other long piece that connects each wheel. I'm not sure what that is called. I though it was called the connecting rod. Check Rock auto for a 1992 ford f250 and look under the steering components and see if anything matches. Also look at some parts in the suspension section.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Dauer

I'm referring to the long rod that connects each hub. Driver's side is threaded/clamped on and the passenger side looks to be pressed in but I'm unsure.

Quick Reply: '96 Quigley 4x4 B3500 tie rod parts help