Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Auto Idle Speed Control Motor Not Retracting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM
lilredex
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Idle Speed Control Motor Not Retracting.

Subject: 1989 Dodge B150 318/auto.

Normally when you turn on the key, the AIS retracts and tensions the gas pedal cable. No movement now. When you turn on the key there is the familiar whiring of the motor but it does not pull back. When turned off, the AIS attempts to pull back, it gives out three distictive loud jumping clicks like it is attempting to "ratchet" back, but does not pull back. This all happens before starting the engine. When you do start it, it runs normally but races at about 2000 RPM making it totally undriveable. What's my next move?? Take apart the AIS or get a new one, or is there something else at play here?

I have had this van for 25 years and this is the first problem I have had with any of the TBI systems..

Old 11-29-2018, 04:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Replace it. I don't think they are user-serviceable in any event.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM
lilredex
Rookie

That is what I was thinking, the way it appears to have jammed gears..There is a kit, but it is half the price of a new one. New one ordered, pick up in the morning and hopefully back in business again.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Let us know how it turns out. I don't know if there is some specific procedure to 'initialize' it......

Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Changed the AIS and freed up the throttle body throttle plate pivot with some penetrating spray, for good measure. I adjusted the screw to about the same length as the old one and made minor adjustments once installed. Running again like new. Thanks to all on this board!!

If anyone is interested, the first link shows the proper operation including the sound effects.......move ahead to 2:20 to see it.

And this link shows one being repaired:

Quick Reply: Auto Idle Speed Control Motor Not Retracting.