Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Front Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Thomas Ziegenhein
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Front Trailer Hitch

Hi guys,
I'm converting a 2002 Dodge van step by step to our family camper. I want to put the bikes in front so that we have more space in the back. I was thinking about to install a front trailer hitch, but I cannot find a kit for the older vans. Does anyone know if one exists? Another option would be to install a grill guard and attach the bikes to it, but from my search here in the forum, a grill guard is not really available
Thanks!
Thomas

Old 05-14-2019, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Mainly because the van is unibody, and there really isn't anything substantial enough up front to bolt the hitch/grill guard to..... I know they are out there for the trucks, but, they have a full frame.... so there is real metal to bolt stuff to.....

Old 05-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Thomas Ziegenhein
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a point .... so bikes on the roof

Thanks for the fast answer!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are frame horns from the firewall forward and a quasi frame welded to the floor right to the back of the van. I would go to a hitch house and see if they can match something to the width up front. Being a van it is possible that the steering and sway bar will still be in the way compared to a truck. I did this to a Ford E150 once and I cut the back 12" off the hitch so it wouldn't interfere with the steering.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:43 AM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can weld or have a friend who's good... The front subframe is pretty sturdy barring any serious rust (left side under the battery is prone to rot, so check it...) so you might try to use something drilled and sandwiched between the anti-swaybar mounts and tabs, or perhaps welded or bolted to the center of the frame rails at about that far rearward, then of that drop something from the bottom of the bumper mount tabs (very front point of subframe rails) and across between those... then using those 4 mount points, make make something with sturdy square tubing and a 2" receiver hitch welded to the bottom of it. Note also that this is from memory... mine is at home and has a major additional subframe assembly for the 4wd conversion...

Note that I would probably ONLY use something like this for a bicycle rack and never suggest using it for winch or anything heavier than a couple bicycles... I also always secure my bicycle racks with tie downs to a higher location as well (I'm an avid cyclist both on and off road and it's not unusual for us to have $5k-$10k+ worth of bikes on the back and top of our vehicles. both of my corvettes even have home brew trailer hitches and bike racks on them :-D

Hope this is helpful!

Quick Reply: Front Trailer Hitch