Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Convert manual steering to power steering

Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Ken3673
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert manual steering to power steering

I have a 1971 Dodge Tradesman 200 (3/4 ton) van with manual steering that I would like to put power steering on. On the internet there seem to be sources for all the components; compressors, gear boxes, etc. and I have the original factory manual for it that seems to go into repair pretty thoroughly. Should it be possible to make that conversion by buying the parts and sticking them on in place of the manual stuff? I guess the worst thing that could happen is I'd end up with a few hundred bucks worth of stuff and not get it done!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I am not 100% sure, but, I think the only part you might need in addition to the box itself, and the pump/lines, would be the intermediate shaft. I would think it would be shorter for the power steering box.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have a hard time finding a good steering box. However, if I were to do it, I would buy the full accessory drive system off an engine that has a serpentine belt.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
lilredex
Rookie

I did this on my '79 B100 (318) back in 1983. Went to the junk yard and got the box, pump, plus hoses, mounting brackets, belts etc. It was a direct swap, nothing else needed changing. Mine had an air pump so I needed the PS pump brackets to mount at the two o'clock location. There were enough pulleys on the crankshaft to keep everyone happy.

The first box I installed only had power assist turning left, so had to go back for another. I got a low mileage box this time off of a 1979 Chrysler wagon (the one with the fake plastic wood on the sides), it worked just fine. The same box is on both cars and vans. Be sure to check for wear on the worm before you buy. Wind it through L>R manually and watch for any roughness in the center position, that is the place for the most wear.

If you remove the bolts from the floor and get the steering coupler loosened from the box, you can pull it right up and out of the way. I might have reused the Pitman arm, I know some of them are different on cars.

A picture of the box, the coupler (with an added grease nipple) and an ugly Pitman arm puller that I made.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Ken3673

Are you for hire ?!! LOL

Old 07-08-2019, 07:04 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power assist is adjusted by sliding the valve body on the steering gear. It has a few o-rings underneath of it and you can loosen it enough to move by backing off the two bolts. You then slide the assembly up or down to balance the boost so it doesn't favour one direction or another. It takes some trial and error.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert manual steering to power steering