Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Reverse takes 10 seconds to engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If that's the only problem it has, think I would just learn to love it, and not worry about it.
lol I mean I don't personally mind, but I'm worried it will prevent it from passing inspection in Virginia.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 AM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If my memory is correct, the bands are adjustable in these. The rear band may need adjusting. There could be a leak in the reverse servo also.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyson Queen-Gene
Oh interesting i didn't know that it didn't circulate in park, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

I'm definitely not the original owner, nor was the person who sold it to me. I'm not sure how recent of a problem it is because the previous owner only owned it for a couple months before having to sell it to pay something else off and the problem existed when he bought it. It doesn't happen in any other gear, only reverse.
If it has old tranny fluid, It needs to be changed - or even flushed. EDIT use ATF+4, not universal.

From there, it could be the shift solenoid. It is a know issue.
I have the check valve delete mod and yes it take 5 seconds to go into gear from P-R. Then when I put it into drive, it takes another 2 seconds.
Other than that, a high end scanner at a tranny shop probably can tell you what the issue is.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all!! Definitely a lot to consider. I had already bought new trans fluid and filter before coming to this thread so I'll try replacing those first. Then the bands, then solenoids and other suggestions. Appreciate the help! ❤️❤️

Old 07-21-2019, 08:12 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The low/reverse band adjustment is inside the pan, so be prepared to do that one when you change the fluid. You'll need a 1/4" drive torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Reverse takes 10 seconds to engage