Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Have to replace the fuel tank. Got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Heyitscali
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to replace the fuel tank. Got a few questions.

About a year ago I got a 1975 dodge b200. Love it. But the previous owner didnt really care for it like they should have. Little by little I知 fixing the problems. Unfortunately they also failed to keep and install the 36 gallon tank that an owner before him had found and included when it was sold. So here I am with a cracked tank and no experience or knowledge on replacing it. Since nobody makes the 36 gallon tank anymore I知 going to have to downsize to a 26 gallon. I know where I can get the tank. But I知 struggling with the fuel sending unit. I知 not sure the ohm range needed. Or where to look for one to fit the tank. While searching through sites like Rockauto and similar sites I find sending units that say they are compatible but for 22 gallon tanks. So I知 guessing it might fit the tank but won稚 read right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:28 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you make a plastic 36 gallon tank fit from a newer Dodge van? The plastic tanks seem to be fantastic.
This will make any sender work:
https://shop.classicinstruments.com/sn34

Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Heyitscali

Originally Posted by SteveR
Can you make a plastic 36 gallon tank fit from a newer Dodge van? The plastic tanks seem to be fantastic.
This will make any sender work:
https://shop.classicinstruments.com/sn34
Im not sure the shape is right. I haven稚 looked at any of the new tanks but if I recall correctly the new tanks fit under the middle of the body. My tank fits at the very rear. I have looked at pick and pull for tanks and every tank I found that seemed like it could fit had holes drilled in them. Super frustrating.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Yeah, the yards do that to drain the gas out of them. Being as it's plastic, you can actually fill those holes, and have a usable gas tank again.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitscali
Im not sure the shape is right. I haven稚 looked at any of the new tanks but if I recall correctly the new tanks fit under the middle of the body. My tank fits at the very rear. I have looked at pick and pull for tanks and every tank I found that seemed like it could fit had holes drilled in them. Super frustrating.

I wonder if the tank out of a Ramcharger/Trailduster will fit? I've got an extra I was going to use for extended range on a pickup I had and it's just a big black plastic cube. I think it's 35 or 40 gallons. I know I learned the hard way not to let it get down to empty. Is the space for your tank fairly high or is it low and flat?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Heyitscali

I got under it today and it痴 basically a cube. With a few steps on the top so that it fits up between the frame. And also part of one side/corner is recessed to make room for the exhaust pipe. I feel like if I don稚 find a old tank then I値l just have to take it to my buddies shop to fit a universal tank better than I could.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Heyitscali

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, the yards do that to drain the gas out of them. Being as it's plastic, you can actually fill those holes, and have a usable gas tank again.
I have read that a lot of people have issues with dealing plastic gas tanks. And some top the holes are at least 1 inch holes. Would you just epoxy a fiberglass patch over it?

Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitscali
I have read that a lot of people have issues with dealing plastic gas tanks. And some top the holes are at least 1 inch holes. Would you just epoxy a fiberglass patch over it?
If it's a small hole, I would cut a chunk out of another tank, that will cover the hole in the tank you want to use, apply some testors model cement LIBERALLY to it, and strap it in place for a day. The testors glue actually melts the plastic, so they run together, making it all one piece.

I've used JB Weld and a canning jar lid in a pinch as well. (and amazingly enough, it was still holding when I sold the car 10 and change years later. )

Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

When I get a chance, and can find it, I'll take a picture of my extra gas tank and measure it. I didn't get a sending unit with it. Something else you can do is check with Appletree.com off road supplies. I got a lot of stuff for a rail buggy I built a while back from them.

Quick Reply: Have to replace the fuel tank. Got a few questions.