Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Brake line schematic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:52 AM
damrammervan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake line schematic

I just purchased a 2000 Dodge 3500 van and the master cylinder has been removed along with both lines to the combination valve and connecting lines to what I guess is a proportioning valve. I am new to the Forum so this may have been discussed before but I need a diagram showing where I need to connect new lines to all of this. Help!

Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Hopefully someone can post a pic for ya.

Welcome to DF!

Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's dark right now, but I can post pics of my 99 in the am if that'll help... :-)

Old 09-28-2019, 09:25 PM
damrammervan

The pics would be a great help. I bought a used factory manual from ebay but I haven't received it yet. I'm not sure if it will have a diagram of the lines when I get it. I plan to start looking for one in a junk yard next week but not many keep many cars anymore, they get crunched up for the metal.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:21 PM
wca_tim
Professional

Sorry these are blurry - something is wrong with the camera on my phone... hmmm... do you have a diagram yet? and not sure how much you have vs need... if plumbing from scratch or everything's there and just difficult to see where it should connect in a few places...

Old 10-06-2019, 09:58 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wca_tim
Sorry these are blurry - something is wrong with the camera on my phone... hmmm... do you have a diagram yet? and not sure how much you have vs need... if plumbing from scratch or everything's there and just difficult to see where it should connect in a few places...

It might be helpful to us if you could possibly post a photo or 2 of exactly what you have and are looking at... I've got a 99 3500 also and could try to get pics to help.
I've been having trouble connecting my cell to laptop saving photos lately, but could share by email or text if that helps.
Share your photos here and pm me with a good email address for you if this will help..

Nevermind on the pm or email thing, I cleaned the collected muck n fuzz in the charging port on my cell and it's recognized again. Post what you have n I can try to match so you can figure out connections if you still need it

Last edited by JFloors; 10-06-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: just an update
Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 PM
damrammervan

Thanks for the pics but I still can't quite make out what need to know. I will try to get a picture of mine tomorrow but I am new at this so may have trouble posting it. Both lines from the master cylinder are missing.so I am not sure what ports to connect to on the combination valve. The rear wheel antilock brake valve has all its lines connected. When I look down on the combination valve it has two ports on the passenger side with a electrical connector between them. The driver side has one open port on the top. The bottom port on that side has a line going to the rear wheel antilock valve. I also have a line coming from the front brakes t-block which has been cut off. Do you know which port on the master cylinder is for the front brake and which is for the rear? I finally received my factory service manual yesterday and it has a good description of how the system works but no schematic of the brake lines. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:23 AM
wca_tim
Professional

I believe that the larger, rear reservoir in the master cylinder is for the front... and the smaller one is for the rear... I can certainly check when I get home this evening... specific questions are much easier to address and I'm happy to help. the system isn't that complicated, but if you don't have pictures or experience with the specific vehicle I know it can be a pain in the ***...

Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

maybe this helps you

Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by damrammervan
I just purchased a 2000 Dodge 3500 van and the master cylinder has been removed along with both lines to the combination valve and connecting lines to what I guess is a proportioning valve. I am new to the Forum so this may have been discussed before but I need a diagram showing where I need to connect new lines to all of this. Help!
Okay I can see why wca tim's pics were a bit blurry, it's not easy to get at down there even removing the washer and coolant reservoirs...
What I could make of it by description for you is this...
The 2 lines from the master cylinder drop and route to what I assume is the combination valve (it has 2 in ports and 2 out ports with a elctrical harness plug between the upper and lower ports) On mine...
the front line from the master cylinder routes to the passenger side lower port
the rear routes to the upper port
Now on the driver side out ports? the two lines continue over to (the larger block looking thing, in the diagram above, I'd guess it's #11)... proportioning valve? Which has total of 5 hydraulic lines connected, 3 above and THE 2 lines below them which are THE 2 lines mentioned above exiting the combo valve from the driver side.
The upper line exiting leads over to the lower rear port and the lower exiting line connects to the lower front port. The 3 upper hydraulics port lines I assume lead out to the front and rear brakes. I'm a bit sore after work n didn't want to go below to verify where exactly those upper 3 lead to...sorry.

Hopefully this description makes some sense, if no other pics or answers come to you I'll try a little harder and get pics

Last edited by JFloors; 10-09-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake line schematic