Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Vacuum leak found - no heat at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019 | 10:40 PM
ElkCon
|
Veteran
Default Vacuum leak found - no heat at idle

Another van saga...lol

I love my van - ha!!! It does have issues from time to time. The latest was that my heat wouldn't be warm at idle.
I do passively diagnose issues like this on the weekend for an hour or so...that makes this issue one that I have had for a few months now.

I first was really confused why this was happening. I thought maybe the blend door was sticking, or my vacuum check valve near the throttle body was bad...or even my heater control valves. I checked everything and I was perplexed.
I asked around and I was told that an air pocket in the cooling system would be the culprit. That made me think, I haven't done anything other than the thermostat (I thought that the 180 degree here in PA was too cold). I did do the thermostat back to the 195 oem as my first try at repair.
I tried burping the system using standard tactics and the issue still prevailed.

I has been summer lately, so I put the issue on the backburner until last weekend. I am happy to report I found the issue My findings are both - I should have know that - along with a large dose of WtF. I still didn't receive any codes and the van seemed to run good previously until the last few weeks. I also checked vacuum at idle and I was getting 18-19. Now that I have been using it more, the idle has been just OK - not good - but not terrible.
I originally did look at all my vacuum lines. I didn't find any that were cracked or broken. But then I had the idle now acting up so I dove in again.
I started with the obligatory throttle body cleaning. I took out the IAC and it looked good. I cleaned it anyway. Then I sprayed a bunch of cleaner into the plates and I noticed the throttle body gasket leaking. Cleaner would come out around the bottom of the TB. It wasn't much and I thought this really shouldn't be an issue, but anyway I got busy taking the throttle body off. That is when I found the root cause. The EVAP vacuum line, that is on the front side of the TB had a hose that was cracked, but it was on the very bottom of the hose, so I didn't see it, even with a mirror when I first looked at it months ago. I dismissed this as the issue early, but without taking the TB off I don't think I would have found it for a long time.
The van runs perfect. Smooth everything Heat works at idle...I happy to say all systems are fully operational!!!
Here is a pic of the hose that attaches to the TB. I replaced it was a standard vacuum hose...works great!

Quick Reply: Vacuum leak found - no heat at idle