Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

troble with Battery and Alternator. in the COld

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:59 PM
jay tee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy troble with Battery and Alternator. in the COld

Hey guys,

Just putting it out their I purchased A Dodge b250 Ram Van 1993
over a year ago and i have constant Trouble wih the Battery and the Alternator in the BC Canadian WInters
I Had the Alternator and the Battery changed in the Dec 18 for the Winter which got through fine
Then I had to Get a new battery In Vancouver in Dec 19 3 weeks ago now I am In kelowna and it has dropped to -15 and below.
My Battery stopped working over 4 days ago and I bought a Booster pack to use to jump start it, WHich was going fine,
Now the Whole electrical system in the Van seems to be Not working,
Nobody knows why The new battery constantly fails and the Alternator doesn't work in the cold even when its new.

Any advice would be helpful Currently we cant even jump start it and will have to be towed. to a mechanic Again but i think i am done with it and will just scrap it

Old 01-13-2020, 07:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by jay tee
Hey guys,

Just putting it out their I purchased A Dodge b250 Ram Van 1993
over a year ago and i have constant Trouble wih the Battery and the Alternator in the BC Canadian WInters
I Had the Alternator and the Battery changed in the Dec 18 for the Winter which got through fine
Then I had to Get a new battery In Vancouver in Dec 19 3 weeks ago now I am In kelowna and it has dropped to -15 and below.
My Battery stopped working over 4 days ago and I bought a Booster pack to use to jump start it, WHich was going fine,
Now the Whole electrical system in the Van seems to be Not working,
Nobody knows why The new battery constantly fails and the Alternator doesn't work in the cold even when its new.

Any advice would be helpful Currently we cant even jump start it and will have to be towed. to a mechanic Again but i think i am done with it and will just scrap it

I've come across similar issues in both extremely hot and cold weather. You might have a problem at the bulkhead connector but I'm thinking it's more simple than that. Check your ground cables. ALL of them and both ends of them. I've seen the main ground cable corrode at the frame and look good until the resistance from the corrosion burned it through. I'll bet if you pull the cable out, you'll find some green or fluffy white stuff at the end. There is also a smaller ground at the battery to the radiator support and often small ground cables from the firewall to the engine. The main cable though will keep the alternator from charging and the battery will only hold so much reserve before it's used up. In the extreme cold you're dealing with, I'd even run an extra if I could find a good spot to bolt it in.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Perhaps the belt slips until it's warmed up.

Quick Reply: troble with Battery and Alternator. in the COld