Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1984 B150 Ram Van compression and leak down test

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:58 PM
sparkyj
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I use a bit of rtv around the water passages, and that is it. Biggest thing is, proper torque, and sequence. I *think* yours has EGR on the back of the manifold????
EGR on the drivers side, yes.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:57 PM
sparkyj
Rookie

Hi guys
Thanks for responding.
I used the steel gaskets that are for the smaller 7/8" port and have the center water jacket hole last time i did this (2 years ago). So. yes, I ordered the wrong Intake gaskets a few days ago, thinking I needed to tear the intake off again. Those 1213 gaskets are getting returned.
Yesterday I snugged up a few manifold bolts that had some rust forming from some sort of prior weepage.
Now, I'm not sure if what I was seeing was burn-off from when radiator fluid splashed a little into the engine when I replaced the heater core this past week. It sure looked like it was puffing out of the center of the intake manifold. Anyways today I drove to the shop and my mechanic buddy charged up the AC system I had redone with R134. No smoke today so maybe some sort of magic happened with the micro torquing. The engine is REALLY stinky rich so tomorrow will take to carb guy to try and smooth that out. This is a constant problem with this van and I wonder if replacing the Air temp sensor is contributing or perhaps the o2 sensor is not working. I might put the old Air Temp Sensor back in. There is a picture of it way up in this thread. Thanks again!

Last edited by sparkyj; 04-18-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:23 PM
sparkyj
Rookie

RE; The original Air Temp Sensor (See post 49 above). When testing with an ohm meter, if you heat up the sensor does the ohmage increase or decrease?
With my original sensor with the ohm meeter set to 2000 at room temp it is 1030. When I heat with a hair dryer (low setting) it rises slowly to about 1080 after about 30 seconds.
I've seen some videos that say the ohmage should decrease but this may be with newer cars. Also I could be interpreting this all wrong. What is the Air temp Sensor talking to?

Thanks again for any input!

EDIT: 7:30PM: The connector at the Intake Air Temp Sensor is showing no voltage. it is supposed to show 5v with key on.
Also my newer IAT Sensor is showing 0 ohmage (dead). I stuck the old one back in and undid the jerry-rig wiring back to the stock connector.
Either the black/red wire has a short going back to the ECM or the ECM is bad. - combined with a bad Air temp sensor.

Man. What else does the ECM do in an 84 van? This van smells like an old *** airplane on steroids.

ALSO: the smoke appears to be coming from the see-through section of the head at startup for a few revs. Maybe the header gaskets are making the exhaust climb back up through that orafice (?)

I gotta take this van on a long trip Wednesday am.
I hope I can unstinkafy it tomorrow.

Last edited by sparkyj; 04-18-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Unfortunately, It has been decades since I dealt with a carb on V-8....

Old 05-10-2022, 12:14 PM
sparkyj
Rookie

With the replaced heater core and new AC hoses and system conversion Vanny went all the way to Palm Springs and back to LA no problems. I had a local carb guy dial in the carb a little better. Maybe it is a little less stinky? I dunno. And the smoke at the sides of the block may be exhaust gasket related (since originally there were no gaskets and now there are). Seems to go away after a minute when the block expands. I still want to focus on this air temp/air charge sensor. Last I checked it had no voltage on the wire (i think) leads to the cro-magnon computer on this thing. What does that computer do anyway? advance the timing?
I've been working on this so long, when i went and googled 1985 Dodge B150 Air temp Sensor, i found my own post I did years ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88150091@N07/49775117663oooof. totally forgot. Am I that old? I forget... :-)

Quick Reply: 1984 B150 Ram Van compression and leak down test