Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Oil Drain Repair Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 01:45 PM
jumper.cables
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Drain Repair Plug?

The seal around this oil drain plug needs replaced... wondering if it's one of those universal repair plugs? If so, how the heck to get it out or getting a good seal without dropping the pan? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

What kind of drain plug is that? I usually expect to see a threaded bolt, with some variety of seal on it...... That looks like something to be used if the threads in the pan are stripped, or some such.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:21 PM
jumper.cables
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What kind of drain plug is that? I usually expect to see a threaded bolt, with some variety of seal on it...... That looks like something to be used if the threads in the pan are stripped, or some such.
I think it's one of these, but can't see inside:

Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I see.

I don't see a real good way to repair that, without dropping the pan.... and if you are going to go to all that trouble, I would just fix it right, or replace the pan......

Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM
bootNewt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's definitely a butterfly plug like you suspect. You might be able to fix it with Lisle Tool #58850, an oil pan plug rethreader assuming it's not too much bigger than the stock 1/2" diameter drain plug hole. It chews out the old thread and has a tap and plug to bring it up to a 14mm. If you can find the tool cheaper than you can find a pan and gasket and wanna save some time, go for it. Otherwise I would just get a new pan. You have to change the oil out either way afterwards.

If you do retap it and use the kit, I recommend leaving the hole open and pouring some oil through to carry out the debris.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Look like you have the plug you posted.
You should be able to get it out. Even if the toggle falls off you should be able to fish it out with a flexible magnet. If you screw it almost all the way out - to where the toggle is just barley hanging on, you usually have enough play to stick a super skinny screwdriver in there and guide it out. Or get enough of the nose of pliers on it, then pulling it out.
The from there get an insert like boot above said or get another plug.

Replacing the pan is a PITA. You either have to remove the crossmember or unbolt the engine from the frame mounts and lift the motor 3-4 inches to get the pan out.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I'd wonder what else was done when they did a jack leg repair like that. I'd try to rethread it, but I'd also put a large ceramic magnet on the oil pan near the drain hole. Any ferrous scraps that get in will stick to the magnetic field. When you go to change the oil next time, pull the magnet off while the oil is flowing. This will keep the steel particles from getting up in the engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Drain Repair Plug?