Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

How can I lower the spare tire without the original jack assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Liface
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I lower the spare tire without the original jack assembly?

There is a square bracket accessible through the back of the van to lower the spare tire. I assume it was built for the tools that come with the jack, which I no longer have.

How can I plug into this and lower the spare tire in an emergency situation?

First thing I tried was going to junkyards and looking for Dodge jack kits, but apparently they are the first thing to go.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:20 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you try a 3/8" extension on a ratchet? If it doesnt fit grind it down to fit

Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Liface

There is a square bracket accessible through the back of the van to lower the spare tire. I assume it was built for the tools that come with the jack, which I no longer have.

How can I plug into this and lower the spare tire in an emergency situation?

First thing I tried was going to junkyards and looking for Dodge jack kits, but apparently they are the first thing to go.

They aren't really the first to go, they don't make it to the yard. Most people lose them, like your van's previous owner. Like busted nuckle said, you can use an extension and either a ratchet or speed wrench. In a pinch, you can see if a tire iron with the pry bar end will fit or a really large flat head screw driver. Stick the screw driver in the widest points and twist by hand. I'd personally go with the ratchet and a long extension to keep the hands clear of the bumper.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:52 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I used my cordless drill and and an extension, 3/8" if I recall correctly.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I went out and checked my van and a 1/4" drive socket extension fits in the hole perfect.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:26 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Most yards around here pull the Jack's out toss them as soon as the vehicle hots the yard before being put out for picking parts because the yard owners don't want customer jacking up vehicles in the yard and having them fall on someone

Old 05-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Vanner

I bought a 2002 Ram Van 2500 a few months ago, and found out that a 1/2" 8 point(square) socket 3/8" drive will fit. My jack and jack tools were missing also.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:52 PM
jimdespres

Like busted knuckles said above, a quarter inch works real good. If you don't have a !/4" drive extension, pick up a 1/4" garbage disposal key at a hardware store. It has the four sides needed for a good fit, measures abut 4" then bends at a right angle with another 4" to use as a handle. I keep one in the glove compartment as an emergency backup.

Quick Reply: How can I lower the spare tire without the original jack assembly?