Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge Ram 1500 van - Vent selector switch and Airflow switch not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 07:13 PM
Kyle Petersen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 1500 van - Vent selector switch and Airflow switch not working properly

Hey, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 van.

My Van was stuck on max defrost. I noticed a connector with 3 vacuum tubes had been unplugged near the drivers side and plugged it back in.
Now the result of that is that I’m still stuck on max airflow however now I’m stuck on main dash vents instead of defrost.
I’m guessing the previous owner pulled the vacuum lines so that the van would go to default settings (defrost).
could be 2 different problems like the resistor for the fan blower not functioning properly causing max air and I’m not sure about the selector switch. The selector switch is my main concern however (vacuum system).
any tips or help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Kyle Petersen; 01-20-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Your issue is difficult to understand. Is the fan constantly running on high? Can you give us a pic of the connector you plugged back in? If you have no vacuum to the controller the vents default to defrost. If you plugged in a vacuum line (3 hose fitting) and the vents shifted to dash vents, that now means you supplied vacuum to the control switch and shifted the vents. Youre going to have to trace the hoses out. The 3 in the fire wall are 1 to heater control valve, 1 to fresh air door in passenger fender and one is vacuum supply to dash controller. Thats out of memory. Lol

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Petersen (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 PM
Kyle Petersen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: After driving the vehicle I’ve realized the vent selector switch is semi functional (works and then doesn’t work) now so I think the the vent doors or mechanism is the culprit? Not sure where that’s located?
The 3 vacuum tube connector comes off the vent selector switch and goes into a rubber grommet in the firewall to connect to the vacuum lines in the engine bay.
As for the air control switch, it only works on the max setting and does nothing on the other 3 lower speeds.

Last edited by Kyle Petersen; 01-20-2021 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add more info

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 van - Vent selector switch and Airflow switch not working properly