Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Speedometer drive gear housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 06:26 PM
V.Tritchler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to give you all an update about the issue with the van.
I initially had installed a Master Mechanic speed sensor (two different ones because I thought the first one maybe was faulty) and the speedometer and cruise control weren't working. I thought maybe it was the pinion or maybe the housing not being installed correctly.
When it comes to how to properly install the housing, I spoke to a Dodge dealership mechanic and he explained that when putting the housing back into the transmission that you have to push the housing into the transmission and then turn it clockwise with your hand until the gears catch, then hold it in place as you affix the housing to the transmission. Also he recommended using a different brand of speed sensor as some aftermarket parts aren't calibrated to every vehicle. I bought a Standard speed sensor and sure enough, the speedometer and cruise control now work.
I hope this helps everyone in the future... I know I had a hell of a time figuring this out.
Thank you to everyone who helped me in trying to diagnose the problem. You really helped me to be able to ask the right questions and get to the bottom of the issue.

Quick Reply: Speedometer drive gear housing