Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ram b250 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:43 PM
Rajyelkon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram b250 coolant leak

So I just bought this 1994 5.9 ram b250 van about 2 weeks ago and all it had was rear main seal leak and its been running fine until yesterday as I was driving all of a sudden I just heard bubbling and it started overheating and i saw steam come out the engine bay, when i looked in the engine bay there was coolant all over and I cant find where its coming from all hoses are in place. It just decided to dump all the coolant somehow. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Could be anywhere. Put something in it, then pressure test the system. (you can rent one from your local parts store.)

Old 02-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Rajyelkon

Thats the thing though. Every time i just poured a bottle of water in the coolant and it drained right out. The leak seems to be coming from the mid front of the engine.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:31 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

water pump bypass hose may have blown out
check this

Old 02-22-2021, 06:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajyelkon
Thats the thing though. Every time i just poured a bottle of water in the coolant and it drained right out. The leak seems to be coming from the mid front of the engine.

Grab the fan (engine off of course) and wiggle it around. The shaft shouldn't have any play. You either have a busted hose or failed water pump. I've seen pumps fail so bad, the impeller comes off and the fan will pull the shaft into the radiator.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:14 PM
Rajyelkon

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Grab the fan (engine off of course) and wiggle it around. The shaft shouldn't have any play. You either have a busted hose or failed water pump. I've seen pumps fail so bad, the impeller comes off and the fan will pull the shaft into the radiator.
so youre right it does a have a very small wiggle does that mean I need a new water pump?
I also pulled the water pump out and the gasket looked like it was almost metal on metal .

Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you already have it off, replace it.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:54 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajyelkon
so youre right it does a have a very small wiggle does that mean I need a new water pump?
I also pulled the water pump out and the gasket looked like it was almost metal on metal .

Since it's off, replace it. No sense doing the labor twice. When you put it on, use a good gasket and use some Loc-tite thermostat and water pump sealer. It's a grey RTV gasket material and it's helped with older parts that have some pitting. I think the only time I've ever had a leak when using it was when I messed up. You don't need a lot and be sure to put a little dab on the threads of the water pump bolts going into the water jacket.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:19 PM
Rajyelkon

So i just replaced the water pump tightened everything and put it back then I decided to connect all the hoses and test it. Poured water down and it all dropped again just like before but this time since i had the fan off i could see where it was coming from. Turns out it was the bypass hose connected to the water pump. However since its so tight in there this job just got 10 times harder. I had to remove the ac compressor to get to the hose clamp and the hose still wont come off. I atatched pics

Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Take that whole bracket off, and just cut the old hose to get it off.

Quick Reply: Ram b250 coolant leak