Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:54 AM
Jaden Raffin-Adams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

Hello good folks. I am looking into getting a camper van to do a two ish month trip in with my girlfriend. The old dodges look amazing but I’d love to know what to look for in them. This one below seems like a good deal even if it’s light on cabin photos/details about its service history. Any tips on what to ask about here?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1353600506893/

Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Well, it IS 40 years old........ Mileage isn't bad for the age, but, any rubber parts in there are likely trashed.... Simply because of the age.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 AM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know age will do more to a vehicle than miles. My 1990 b150 I purchased at 67,000 needed... well, about everything.

For $6900... that's quite a bit considering age. I bought an excellent condition 1st gen cummings with LOTS of mods, and then a 9' Fleetwood Caribou slide in all for less than $7k. But I shopped for a long time and passed on many more expensive options.

All of the interior things must work - especially propane fridge. Notice that they mention the bath was converted to storage and an, "emergency toilet". If you are rving, you are probably going to miss a bathroom. If anything it limits where you go, what you do, how you handle it. You may think, "ah, I can make do never had a bathroom in a vehicle before" - you will regret it.

Make sure to check oil pressure and look on the underside for rear main seal leakage. Matter of fact, all rubber and gaskets are going to be suspect. If you can't see where a lot of work done on the vehicle, then count on being the one to do it.

Looks like a fun van... but I recently finished my second hand rv shopping so I've been looking hard at that market recently. At this price for a vehicle of this age, I'd be very careful. On the upside, parts tend to be available and inexpensive.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy