Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1997 B2500 Engine/Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 12:11 PM
V. Nickerson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 B2500 Engine/Tranny Swap

Hi y'all,
Cheers from Edmonton Alberta. I'm about to start a project and I'm looking for some advice. I've got two B2500 Ram vans. One body is mint-ish (I'll call B1 5.9L ) Other looks like a rusted tuna can. (I'll call B2 5.2L). B1 has over 400kms and tranny is failing (barely drive it) B2 has only 100,000 kms and only about 1000 of that is on petrol. Originally had LPG installed at 97km. I swapped it back over to petrol a few months ago. Still had original gas from 1997 in the fuel rails. Ok so getting on with it I wanna swap engine and tranny for engine and tranny. Here's my concerns/question? Though both are 1997 B2500's the suspension is quite different. B1 has a heftier package compared to B2 ( 8 bolt to 5 bolt lug pattern etc..). Here's some pics of specs.

Oh yeah my question lol. Is it gonna work?
Best way to drop or pull out engine/tranny?
Should I try to leave them intact?
And whats about just pulling off the van body of B1 and dropping it on B2?

Any thoughts? Help?? Advice???
Edit: Forgot to add. B2 is a normal cab and B1 is extended but I don't think that'll matter as the extended is just that. It sits back of where the wheel well is on b2

Thanks for replying if you get around to it. I'll check back in tomorrow sometime... Cheers

Update: So after a bit of brain storming. Lol. Since the uniframe design making up both vans it looks like the "body swap" method looks to be a quash.

Last edited by V. Nickerson; 05-18-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-18-2021, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Should be able to swap 'em, without trouble. All the mounts are the same, even electrical is the same. Use the correct PCM for the motor though. There ARE differences there. (or, alternatively, flash the existing PCM for the larger motor.) Transmissions are likely the same as well. There might be differences in the oil pan between weight ratings.... that, I don't know.

Since you are swapping both, pull 'em together. I usually (on vans....) disassemble the front radiator support, (it has convenient bolts for just such a purpose) and pull them together right out the front.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:24 PM
V. Nickerson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be able to swap 'em, without trouble. All the mounts are the same, even electrical is the same. Use the correct PCM for the motor though. There ARE differences there. (or, alternatively, flash the existing PCM for the larger motor.) Transmissions are likely the same as well. There might be differences in the oil pan between weight ratings.... that, I don't know.

Since you are swapping both, pull 'em together. I usually (on vans....) disassemble the front radiator support, (it has convenient bolts for just such a purpose) and pull them together right out the front.
That's really good to hear/know. This is going to be a fun long weekend lol . Thanks so much for the reply sir. Grill, rad, and fan shroud if I remember correctly from the last one I did, many many moons ago now. After the electrical any thing else I should be leery about catching on the way out or back in for that matter?
Also I'm pretty unfamiliar with these trans but I'm curious do they have multiple shift solenoids and do they have their own circuit, relay, or power distrib box. Reason I'm asking is I may have to drive B1 for the rest of the week. I've got a Ford 150 but the cam phasers are so fn bad rn I may have to park it. B1 has first and second but that's it and is revving at about 2500 at 30-40 kms. I'm wondering (hoping) maybe if there isn't a quick/temp fix until I can get to the full tranny/engine swap. I may just say f it and rent a van from Home Depot to get materials to the jobsite and just use the old ladies Toyota to commute. Any tranny advice m8?
Edit: Tranny fluid level is good. Reverse, first and second is fine but in drive she whines badly.

Side note: I used to live right across the pond from ya bitd. Lived in Windsor Ontario for a few years. We called it little Detroit. Worked in a truck repair shop that service day cabs running scrap metal from US to Canada side. Was dirty and humid. Real humid lol.

Last edited by V. Nickerson; 05-18-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I haven't done a van in a couple decades.... so, there are likely some pitfalls you are going to have to watch out for, I just don't remember what they were.

There are a couple solenoids in the trans, one for overdrive, one for torque converter clutch, and then there is the governor pressure solenoid, and a governor pressure sensor. Quick test to see if your problem is electronic, or mechanical, is to unplug the 8 pin connector on the trans, and go for a drive. Keep in mind, the trans will have ZERO automatic function, you will have to start in first, and manually shift up/down as appropriate. No TCC or O/D either. If it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to while unplugged, it's just an electronics problem, and swapping out the governor pressure stuff usually solves it. If it still acts funky.... well, then its rebuild time.

Yep, I'm about 80 miles or so west of Detroit. I try and avoid that area as much as possible. I think the closest I have gotten in the last 30 years or so, is Detroit Metro Airport.

Quick Reply: 1997 B2500 Engine/Tranny Swap