Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine Swap 3.9l to 01 5.9l

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 12:04 AM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap 3.9l to 01 5.9l

My father has an 01 Ram Van 3500 with the 5.9l that isn't running (Trans issues when he parked it, started up a few times a year to keep the engine free). I was wondering how much of a pain in the *** it's gonna be to swap. From what I've found online, I just need the V8 bracket for the first gens. I have no idea what transmission I've got or if it'll bolt to the 5.9 (or even work/last that long anyway). I also plan on dumping a few performance parts on the block since I'm trying to make a fairly entry level street/track truck.

TLDR:
1: 01 5.9l out of a Van fit, if so, what needs to be added other than the engine bracket.
2: Do I need to pull the transmission/computer/wiring harness from the Van to drop in the truck.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:25 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Maki

TLDR:
1: 01 5.9l out of a Van fit, if so, what needs to be added other than the engine bracket.
2: Do I need to pull the transmission/computer/wiring harness from the Van to drop in the truck.
I did this swap with my 03 3.9.
I found a 2000 with a 360 and 46RE
All wiring harness will be swapped - all computers are swapped - dont worry there are places for everything.
everything fits -- you do need to have a driveshaft made/shortened edit: I had the shorty van so this had to be done - you may be OK with regular wheelbase to regular wheelbase when it comes to the tranny. But a good tranny shop will be able to tell you this one.
Other than that - it is awesome to have

Old 06-07-2021, 05:35 PM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkCon
I did this swap with my 03 3.9.
I found a 2000 with a 360 and 46RE
All wiring harness will be swapped - all computers are swapped - dont worry there are places for everything.
everything fits -- you do need to have a driveshaft made/shortened edit: I had the shorty van so this had to be done - you may be OK with regular wheelbase to regular wheelbase when it comes to the tranny. But a good tranny shop will be able to tell you this one.
Other than that - it is awesome to have
Thanks. I ended up picking up an 318 87 D100 RWD this weekend, and after getting it running (sat for at least a year if not longer in PA, moss/mold all over the damn thing, control arm bracket sheared off the frame, etc), my dad took my battery and tossed it in the van and we got it running as well, so now I've got both engines, and and both transmissions (as well as the 3.9l and its tranny from the main truck.) Got really lucky with managing to get everything running tbh. I've almost got him convinced to give me the engine so I can burn rubber against his 03 2500 5.7 Hemi. As far as the Driveshaft goes, it's the full size (maybe extended? Was used for construction and family hauling) so I've got fingers crossed I won't need to shop it.

Last edited by Maki; 06-07-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:59 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I know, the variety of computers are limited to the transmission type and the emissions type.

So, 3 speed federal emissions, 4 speed California emissions, etc.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap 3.9l to 01 5.9l