Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ball Joint Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 02:39 PM
jdb255
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball Joint Woes

I've got a 99 Ram Van 3500 with the 4000 lb front axle and a bad upper ball joint on the driver's side. I got the big socket and a 5 ft cheater bar, and was able to unscrew and remove the old ball joint, but I can't get a new one to go in.

I started out with the el cheap-o Master Pro from O'Reilly's, but the threads were slightly closer together than the original and the top was slightly too large for the special socket. Couldn't get the threads started since they don't match the ones in the control arm, so I returned the piece of junk ball joint and bought the Moog instead.

The main body of the Moog ball joint is just slightly larger in diameter than the original, so it won't slip far enough into the UCA to start the threads. Tapping it in with a rubber mallet didn't help, and besides, I worry that the slightly larger body will damage the threads in the UCA if I try to force it.

I tried the local dealership, but they say the part is discontinued and recommend the Moog, which I've already tried unsuccessfully. I have a trip coming up this weekend that I really don't want to cancel, but I can't for the life of me get this stupid ball joint to go in.

At this point, I feel like I've got 4 options:
1. Stick the Moog in the freezer for a while, heat up the upper control arm with a propane torch, and then try to install it.
2. Grind or file the Moog ball joint below the threads to reduce the diameter and get it to drop into place so I can screw it in.
3. Return the Moog, get a new boot, and re-install my old ball joint with the new boot. Grease the heck out of it, and call it good.
4. Replace the whole upper control arm. I really don't want to do this, since there's nothing actually wrong with my existing one, I suspect the aftermarket UCA will be lower quality than OE, and I already feel like I'm hemorrhaging money.

What do you recommend? Have I overlooked something? Are these ideas stupid? It's just killing me that I actually have the right tools and the right parts, and I still can't get the stupid thing to work!

Old 05-25-2021, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

If it ain't real far, take the new balljoint, AND the old one, back to the parts store, show 'em what ya got going on, and see if they offer any suggestions. It may NOT be the correct part.... also, if the part below the threads won't fit thru the hole, it's highly likely that the threads aren't correct as well.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:31 PM
jdb255
Amateur

Well, I ended up sticking the Moog ball joint in the freezer for a couple hours, and heating the UCA with a propane torch. Then I quickly smeared some grease on the threads and threaded it in. I had to use my breaker bar and 5 ft cheater bar to get it tightened all the way down, but it worked!

The following users liked this post:
alloro (05-27-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:57 PM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

good deal.......

Old 06-08-2021, 05:47 PM
86RoyalSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, was the moog ball joint a "problem saver"? I put 4 new ball joints in my van. I got them all on eBay at heavily discounted prices. One of them was a problem saver that was designed a little bigger so as to solve a problem with the control arm hole being too big. That one I had to take the control arm to a shop and let them put install. It took him a while.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:28 AM
jdb255
Amateur

Originally Posted by 86RoyalSE
I'm curious, was the moog ball joint a "problem saver"? I put 4 new ball joints in my van. I got them all on eBay at heavily discounted prices. One of them was a problem saver that was designed a little bigger so as to solve a problem with the control arm hole being too big. That one I had to take the control arm to a shop and let them put install. It took him a while.
You know, that's a good question. I didn't think so, as it wasn't listed as a "problem saver" on O'Reilly's website. But the description for the same model number (K7082) does mention "problem solving gusher bearing". That could be it, I suppose.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Chysler manual says to remove the boot and retainer ring prior to threading the ball stud, and then attaching them in after the joint is threaded to 135 ft lb depending upon size.

This could be why there was difficulty in trying to thread the joint initially.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:34 AM
jdb255
Amateur

Originally Posted by 1990B150318
The Chysler manual says to remove the boot and retainer ring prior to threading the ball stud, and then attaching them in after the joint is threaded to 135 ft lb depending upon size.

This could be why there was difficulty in trying to thread the joint initially.
No, I did that. The metal part of the ball joint that the boot fits over is what didn't fit through the hole in the upper control arm until I put the ball joint in the freezer and used a propane torch on the UCA.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:42 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdb255
No, I did that. The metal part of the ball joint that the boot fits over is what didn't fit through the hole in the upper control arm until I put the ball joint in the freezer and used a propane torch on the UCA.
So what you're saying is, you removed the boot and the clip, heated the UCA and froze the joint, installed it, and then reinstalled the boot and clip on the other side? Did you freeze the boot and clip as well?

Your posts never mentioned anything about the boot, which is why I brought it up, and it's the primary reason that people have a problem starting the thread on that joint.

Aside from that, the ball stud has a torque setting, and it isn't "all the way down" with a 5' cheater bar. That changes things. Sorry, not trying to be abrasive, and the reason I ask is that I'm about to thread some joints myself. Taking all things into consideration.

Last edited by 1990B150318; 06-11-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:49 AM
jdb255
Amateur

So what you're saying is, you removed the boot and the clip, heated the UCA and froze the joint, installed it, and then reinstalled the boot and clip on the other side?
Yes, that's exactly what I did.

Did you freeze the boot and clip as well?
No. I only froze the ball joint itself--not the boot, clip, nut, or anything else.

Your posts never mentioned anything about the boot, which is why I brought it up, and it's the primary reason that people have a problem starting the thread on that joint.
Makes sense. I probably should have been more explicit. It just never occurred to me that somebody might not remove the boot before trying to install, since the remains of the old boot had to come off for the old ball joint to come out, and the new boot was clearly way too big to go through the hole.

Aside from that, the ball stud has a torque setting, and it isn't "all the way down" with a 5' cheater bar. That changes things.
Agreed. That's part of why I'm pretty sure I cross-threaded the new ball joint. If this one ever goes bad on me, I just expect to have to change the whole UCA, because I'm certain I jacked up the threads.

Sorry, not trying to be abrasive, and the reason I ask is that I'm about to thread some joints myself. Taking all things into consideration.
No worries.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Woes