Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge with a hiccup

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 03:03 PM
megansmom97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge with a hiccup

1994 Dodge Ram Van B250 with a 318, runs great EXCEPT if you let it idle for about 10 minutes, it will start cutting out and die. IF I can get it to open road and excellerate for a couple miles, it will come out of the fit it's throwing. I cant find an OBD I or a mechanic who can figure this out. Any ideas? I've chased wires and so has the mechanic.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by megansmom97
1994 Dodge Ram Van B250 with a 318, runs great EXCEPT if you let it idle for about 10 minutes, it will start cutting out and die. IF I can get it to open road and excellerate for a couple miles, it will come out of the fit it's throwing. I cant find an OBD I or a mechanic who can figure this out. Any ideas? I've chased wires and so has the mechanic.

From 1988 through 1995, the key dance is how you pull codes. It works on later vehicles if you don't have a reader handy. To pull codes, you use the ignition key and do NOT hit the start position. You turn the key on, off, on, off and then on the third time and leave it on. Your check engine light will begin to flash. Count the flashes. They will all be two digit numbers. Write down the codes as they will only repeat once. For instance, if the light flashes once a pause then twice, that is code 12. If the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 to 100 key starts, you'll get that. If it flashes 5 times, then 5 times, that is 55 and indicates end of test. Any other codes are trouble codes.

What you are describing is a heat soak problem. There is a failing solder connection or wire connector that expands when hot. I had a Diplomat that had a bad engine controller. A new brain box and it ran like a top. I've also seen bad ground wires cause issues. When the corroded end gets hot, the resistance goes way up. You have a more complex computer than the older controllers. I would check ALL your ground connections first. This probably isn't the problem, but if it is, it's a quick and cheap fix. This includes the ground cable on the engine and the firewall to engine grounds. There are factory service manuals on this site and I'd check one to see if the computer needs to be grounded.

Now, it could be a failing computer (PCM) or connector but I'd check the basic items first. If it is the PCM, you aren't out much besides time. If it isn't, you saved some change.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Van Zeppelin
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saying ... if you left me sitting and idling for 10 minutes during the dog days of summer
i would pitch fits too !
The first thing i would do - is Not do that - especially with the AC going at the same time

I don't disagree with anything Ol'Grouch posted,
but i think you have a mild condition starting to show up with your cooling system - if so - it will only get worse.

Don't know your location or climate - but checking the fan clutch condition could be a good idea.
And dropping down to a 160* Thermostat could help mask the condition if nothing else is found to help.
Most are running a 195* Thermostat

Old 07-28-2021, 10:35 PM
megansmom97

Originally Posted by Van Zeppelin
Just saying ... if you left me sitting and idling for 10 minutes during the dog days of summer
i would pitch fits too !
The first thing i would do - is Not do that - especially with the AC going at the same time

I don't disagree with anything Ol'Grouch posted,
but i think you have a mild condition starting to show up with your cooling system - if so - it will only get worse.

Don't know your location or climate - but checking the fan clutch condition could be a good idea.
And dropping down to a 160* Thermostat could help mask the condition if nothing else is found to help.
Most are running a 195* Thermostat
Reply! Normally it isn't sitting at idle with the ac on during the dog days of summer. The first time she did the hiccup we were in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the end of September. Then again in Central Illinois is December while waiting in line for a Christmas display. So this is not the first time we have had hiccups. Just the first time on a forum trying to get ideas. The thermostat and clutch fan have both been checked. Also currently we are waiting for her brain box to be remanufactured as we cannot find a new box with the correct code. We have a trusted shop working on her currently but even they are scratching their heads.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Van Zeppelin
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were any of the mechanics able to get the van to replicate the problem first hand ?

It sounds a lot more pesky now with the added details.
Hope it works itself out with the new ecu rebuild.

In your position , i would be inclined to install a new fan clutch anyway for added safeguard measures.
It is the only thing that can help prevent heat soak in a sitting condition.

With it doing that even in the winter up north, something had become fragile though.
Keep us posted as it progresses

Old 07-29-2021, 11:11 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by megansmom97
Reply! Normally it isn't sitting at idle with the ac on during the dog days of summer. The first time she did the hiccup we were in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the end of September. Then again in Central Illinois is December while waiting in line for a Christmas display. So this is not the first time we have had hiccups. Just the first time on a forum trying to get ideas. The thermostat and clutch fan have both been checked. Also currently we are waiting for her brain box to be remanufactured as we cannot find a new box with the correct code. We have a trusted shop working on her currently but even they are scratching their heads.

The radiator IS clean isn't it? Can you look down the fill port and see the cooling tubes in the radiator? You may have to drain a little of the coolant to do that. If there is a lot of whiteish build up, you may just need a good flush. The anti FREEZE portion of your coolant never really goes away. The anti CORROSION part fades after 3-5 years. With multi metal engines over the last 30 years or so (iron block and aluminum heads for instance) there is a lot of electrolysis going on inside.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:15 PM
megansmom97

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The radiator IS clean isn't it? Can you look down the fill port and see the cooling tubes in the radiator? You may have to drain a little of the coolant to do that. If there is a lot of whiteish build up, you may just need a good flush. The anti FREEZE portion of your coolant never really goes away. The anti CORROSION part fades after 3-5 years. With multi metal engines over the last 30 years or so (iron block and aluminum heads for instance) there is a lot of electrolysis going on inside.
REPLY.....she has had a full radiator flush. No weird gunk showed up.. The new brain box is on it's way back to the mechanic now. We had a new clutch fan installed as a just in case thing. If I didn't love this van so much I'd sell her but I just can't part with her. LOL

Old 08-18-2021, 02:17 PM
megansmom97
Default Anybody wanna buy a van?

Originally Posted by Van Zeppelin
Were any of the mechanics able to get the van to replicate the problem first hand ?

It sounds a lot more pesky now with the added details.
Hope it works itself out with the new ecu rebuild.

In your position , i would be inclined to install a new fan clutch anyway for added safeguard measures.
It is the only thing that can help prevent heat soak in a sitting condition.

With it doing that even in the winter up north, something had become fragile though.
Keep us posted as it progresses
Our mechanic said when they opened the brain box it smelled extremely hot so I'm praying with the new part that it will be fixed. Just waiting for parts now. So far the radiator was flushed, transmission flushed, all lines checked for wear,, and the new clutch fan.. If this doesn't fix it I'm looking at dropping the fuel tank and
having it cleaned and a new fuel pump and filter installed.....GOT IT HOME AGAIN. NEW BRAIN BOX, NEW RELAYS, DROVE IT 4 MILES.....AND SHE QUIT. TOOK OFF THE DOGHOUSE AND DIDNT SMELL GAS COMING UP WHEN I PUSHED THE ACCELERATOR. HAD IT TOWED AND NOW THE SHOP CANT GET IT TO REPLICATE. IM AT A LOSS. ANYBODY KNOW AN OLD DODGE GUY CLOSE TO ILLINOIS!

Last edited by megansmom97; 09-15-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: New info
Old 08-18-2021, 02:38 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

subscribed...................

Old 11-11-2022, 11:31 PM
Akwingnut

This sounds like vapor lock. Was it?

Quick Reply: Dodge with a hiccup