Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1988 5.9l B250 - still sluggish after tune up. Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:01 AM
b250van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 5.9l B250 - still sluggish after tune up. Need suggestions.

Good morning,

Recently got air filter, new plugs, wires and distributor cap to see if that would help with the hesitation, sluggish power/occasional bogging I get especially when it's cold. But even when warm it doesn't seem like it has much power.

After having those replaced at the dealer it actually seems to start harder and still seems sluggish.

What else can I check/replace on it to see if I can get it running better? I'll double check firing order but is it possible to adjust timing a bit and how do I do this?

Also mine was manufactured in late 87 is there a way to check engine codes on it?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Van Zeppelin
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b250van
Also mine was manufactured in late 87 is there a way to check engine codes on it?
By checking engine codes - do you mean CEL fault codes ?
Does yours have Fuel Injection ?
Does it have a CheckEngineLight in the dash that illuminates as a self-check at each start-up ?

A lot of things could be needed to improve the performance after 33 years, you are off to a good start though.
Step 1 might be disconnecting positive battery cable for a minute or two , and reconnecting.
It will cause the engine control parameters to reset and re-learn with the new components you installed.

I'm not sure if your 88 5.9 is the same as my 89 5.9
Mine has Throttle Body Fuel Injection
Roller Cam and Roller Lifters - no valve adjustment

On some of these era Dodges you shouldn't try to adjust the timing - probably best to consult a service manual first before moving the distributor. Or someone here might know for sure.

Quick Reply: 1988 5.9l B250 - still sluggish after tune up. Need suggestions.