Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1995 B250 5.2l v8 rough idle and sputtering on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Hursh
There is a pick up under the distributor cap on my 96 , acted very simular. 2 wires you can see leaving the back of the cap
Yeah, that's the cam position sensor. PCM needs that to start the engine, but, according to another members testing, once the engine is running, PCM doesn't need it any more. So, shouldn't be a contributor to an intermittent performance problem. (a no-start condition though, yeah, that's possible. )

The following users liked this post:
Eric Hursh (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Eric Hursh
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, that's the cam position sensor. PCM needs that to start the engine, but, according to another members testing, once the engine is running, PCM doesn't need it any more. So, shouldn't be a contributor to an intermittent performance problem. (a no-start condition though, yeah, that's possible. )
I can attest that it does need it to run right. My truck would run for days with no issues but cruising speed if you gave it gas it would jerk like it was missing on a few cylinders and shut off . Re starting was hit or miss , a few tines it started right back up and on one occasion it had to sit overnight just to start first turn the next day . The engine light finally came on at about 65mph the last bout it had and it was for cam sensor . Replaced and never another issue , it also smoothed out the idle and let it idle much lower . Never did give it any trouble cold starting, was always cruizing speed with sometimes days in between. Tell ya the truth I was never so happy to see an engine light lol
Possible they short internally or something but been over a year and over 10k since

Last edited by Eric Hursh; 12-25-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eric Hursh
I can attest that it does need it to run right. My truck would run for days with no issues but cruising speed if you gave it gas it would jerk like it was missing on a few cylinders and shut off . Re starting was hit or miss , a few tines it started right back up and on one occasion it had to sit overnight just to start first turn the next day . The engine light finally came on at about 65mph the last bout it had and it was for cam sensor . Replaced and never another issue , it also smoothed out the idle and let it idle much lower . Never did give it any trouble cold starting, was always cruizing speed with sometimes days in between. Tell ya the truth I was never so happy to see an engine light lol
Possible they short internally or something but been over a year and over 10k since
Interesting. Another member unplugged his with the engine running, and there wasn't any change. I don't recall if he did anything more than that.

But, yeah, it's a hall effect sensor, and they degrade over time.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:28 PM
scottsvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So by way of update. I replaced the temperature sensor for the PCM (the two prong one), and the EGR valve. I did it one at a time, and checked after each, but neither was the problem.

I also got a SnapOn MT2500 scanner off of eBay, and am waiting on the correct primary cartridge now to get some live data and troubleshoot it.

If anyone knows of any quick training resources for the MT2500, please let me know. I'm also looking for a copy of the Chrysler reference book if anyone knows of an electronic copy somewhere.

Thanks @HeyYou for all the help so far.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:29 AM
scottsvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to have resolved things. Can I get a drumroll please.... crankshaft position sensor!

I pulled it, and found the tip/bottom/part closest to the road/engine had damage and was slightly protruding. After I replaced it with a new sensor, the idle improved dramatically and I now have regular power and response when I push on the accelerator. Hopefully that was indeed the issue and things stay fixed.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Awesome.

Yep, crank sensors have some truly bizarre failure modes.......

Quick Reply: 1995 B250 5.2l v8 rough idle and sputtering on acceleration